Camping extension cord recomendation 1.5mm or 2.5mm

Thanks ericmark and Ban-all-sheds for the info.

I just had a read through of this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/3.8.6.htm

I will ditch the MCBs. I will keep the spur though as it is conveanient as a switch and connection point for the cable.

With regards to the size of the box, i wanted it to be big enough so that there would be space for some of the adaptors/cables
that i would need to take with me when i went camping.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
One of the problems with camping abroad is the use of silly German sockets which allow the live pins to be swapped. In the main items are designed to be used in all EEC countries so swapping line and neutral should not matter, that is until you use something which is UK only. The 13A socket, and the FCU are two such devices so you need something to show if the plug is correctly plugged in. All sockets should comply with BS EN 60309-2 however it is likely they will not. Even if it does you may find line and neutral are still the wrong way around. At one time you could buy special caravan consumer units with a light to say correct and a button to press to change it. But not seen them for years. To my mind any change over device should need a very positive action a button which some one looks at and says to them selves what is that, lets press it and see is not really the best method.

A
70150.jpg
and
70170.jpg
is likely the easy way around the problem if wrong way you unplug and turn around as it means lead with adaptor fits BS EN 60309-2 and without adaptor fits German "Schuko" Type F plus even the French sockets where the earth pin sticks out.

So the EZ150 is required to test polarity and if there is an earth. However what do you do if it's not correct? Do you say I am finding another site, or do you say has to be this site because this is were the action is?

At one time you could buy special caravan consumer units with a light to say correct
Easy enough (and very cheap!) to fit a couple of neons on an existing one to serve as polarity indications.

Although on the polarity issue in general, until relatively recently there were still some areas of France and Spain where reversing connections would achieve nothing anyway, as the 220V feed was from two phases of a 127/220V system.

I don't know about your inline RCD, it is likely electronic and some can cause an upstream RCD to trip when the test button is pressed.
Remember to buy a bright colour cable ie orange.

Sponsored Links
Will the equipment be in that plastic box when in use, ? If yes then considered condensation on the inside of the plastic box.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Can vouch for that orange stuff. Have used it on my own camping leads (bought from that seller) and it is good kit.

Yellow arctic was what i was going for (although i am expecting silly remarks in person about it being 110V rated (when it is 300/500V rated regardless of colour). Visibility being very important in the unlit campsites.

I have considered condensation although the box isnt close to being air tight. Where the lid meets the box there are horizontal tabs which touch the rim instead of surface to surface. Infact that space is perfect for having cables come out of the box, even with the lid firmly on.

Ignore the hole in the patress box, will replace that (it isnt cabled up yet).

boxrim.jpg

I seem to remember iet[/B].org/wiring-matters/33/arctic-cables.cfm?type=pdf]Wring matters did talk about yellow arctic cables Mark Coles the question is which standard BS 7919 is what is normally thought of as arctic but the BS number is rather open it would seem so some is OK for low voltage and some is reduced low voltage only. [/FONT]

Oh I really give up with links since the forum format changed electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/33/arctic-cables.cfm?type=pdf
May be that works?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back