1.5mm or 2.5mm? -external cable for Ip44 connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am buying or assembling an extension lead for use with the blue outdoor ip44 connectors (e.g. screwfix # 12227 / 15521).

I am going to use blue artic cable, i found first the 16A 1.5mm cable(e.g. screwfix # 74104), but then found the 2.5mm cable (e.g. screwfix # 63305).

My brother made a comment when i said i was going to do a cable, he said "use 2.5mm so i can use it" (for his PA Rig). However my problem is the 2.5mm is (according to screwfix) rated 15A where as the 1.5mm is rated 16A! so surely i am better using the 1.5mm? or is it a mistake by screwfix?

what is the guidelines for this kind of extension? i would rather stick with the 1.5mm as it is lighter.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a typo to me, looked up blue artic cable on tlc, and

1.5mm² - 16A
2.5mm² - 25A

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:

1.5mm² - 16A
2.5mm² - 25A

i get 15A and 20A for artic cable?

yeah its a typo,

but yep there is conflicting crrent ratings with the arctic blue (and yellow and orange) cable! loads of places say the 1.5mm is 16A but then there is no need for the 2.5mm (as the plug/sockets are limited to 16A!). then other places say it is 15A!

i guess the 2.5mm might be usefull for long runds to reduce voltage drop, but i dont know if that would be an issue.

Andy

sm1thson said:
yeah its a typo,

but yep there is conflicting crrent ratings with the arctic blue (and yellow and orange) cable! loads of places say the 1.5mm is 16A but then there is no need for the 2.5mm (as the plug/sockets are limited to 16A!). then other places say it is 15A!

i guess the 2.5mm might be usefull for long runds to reduce voltage drop, but i dont know if that would be an issue.

Andy

i would just use 2.5. all my extensions are the same as what your makin and are 2.5

andrew2022 said:
Adam_151 said:

1.5mm² - 16A
2.5mm² - 25A

i get 15A and 20A for artic cable?

Where you looking, maybe tlc gives max ratings, while wherever you are looking gives realistic rateings.

for example tlc quotes 40A for 6mm² :confused: :?:

I did actually mean to say 6mm² T&E, but it got lost somewhere between brain and keyboard :oops: , I appear to have de-railed the thread slightly as well :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back