basement floor, down to clay..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 1900 midterrace house in leeds.

I am thinking on removing the flagstone flooring in my basement diggin down about 8 inches and then laying, menbrane, insulation covered by a concrete screed.

I have dug a test hole beside the front wall to see how far down the footings are but i cant find any?? I have dug down about 9 inch and have got to clay. Does this mean my house doesn't have any footings a I know some older properties don't.

If thats the case what does that mean for my plan to lower the floor level? Will I have to forget about my plans (as I am not wanting to go down the route of underpinning) or would it still be safe to dig down?

Thanks for any advice

Al

Sponsored Links
I doubt that you've gone deep enough yet to find any footings. Houses from this era that I've lived/worked in have had stepped out brickwork underground on top of a concrete strip. Total depth to subsoil has been anything from 18" to 3 feet plus.

Keep digging and learn Cantonese just in case you go too far.

Keep digging and learn Cantonese just in case you go too far.

154570386a3707401631b808726915s.gif

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back