Basic electrical work in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i'm just about to re-fit by kitchen and would like to carry out some basic rewiring. No I know major electrical work must be carried out by a qualified electrician, but am I allowed to do the basics myself.

I'm looking to;

a) Drop the ceiling and put in 4 downlights running from the original light

b) Add/move a couple of power sockets

That's it really. I shouldn't have to move the cooker circuit as the oven is staying in the same place.

Can I carry out this work by myself? And would it need checking by the council?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you live in England or Wales the work you describe is notifiable to your LABC (Local Area Building Control) under part P of the building regs. This means to remain inside the law you can either notify your LABC and pay their fee before starting work (DIY) and let them oversee compliance with the building regs or get a person who can self certify compliance with the building regs to do the work for you: http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back