Fitting a kitchen (electrics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at refitting our kitchen and am looking at doing everything myself (with exception to gas).

I am curious what the insurances take would be on doing the electrics myself.
I am planning on the following;

- Simply dropping the existing cables into the wall (chasing) instead of that ugly pvc trunking
- Changing the socket/switch faces
- Maybe adding a fused spur off the ring main for a cooker hood.

Would doing this work myself invalidate an insurance claim where the cause of damage is due to electrics? I of course don't plan on any damage occurring from the electrics but Im thinking "Just incase".

I would probably be getting a full house inspection and testing done after the kitchen has been fitted so they would effectively be saying the kitchen wiring is okay?

Note: I have worked as a trainee electrician before so have experience of such basic work but am NOT qualified.

Sponsored Links
How will they know?

- Simply dropping the existing cables into the wall (chasing) instead of that ugly pvc trunking
That's quite acceptable.

Would doing this work myself invalidate an insurance claim where the cause of damage is due to electrics?
Not in itself but any excuse is enough for insurance companies.

I would probably be getting a full house inspection and testing done after the kitchen has been fitted so they would effectively be saying the kitchen wiring is okay?
Why don't you ask one to advise and supervise your work?

Note: I have worked as a trainee electrician before so have experience of such basic work but am NOT qualified.
You don't have to be - you must be 'competent'.

You will need RCD protection for the new work.
Cable routing must be done correctly.
Testing must be carried out prior to energising.

How will they know?
should a claim be made, im sure they would question who done the electrics for kitchen if it was kitchens electrics at fault

That's quite acceptable.

Would doing this work myself invalidate an insurance claim where the cause of damage is due to electrics?
Not in itself but any excuse is enough for insurance companies.
Id probably have to agree

Why don't you ask one to advise and supervise your work?
Possibly, I do know some electricians, it just adds to the cost I suppose, I could route everything and before plastering over, get them to check over it quickly kind of thing

You don't have to be - you must be 'competent'.
To do the work yes, but when work is done it should be certificated (depending on the work, only qualified can certify?)

You will need RCD protection for the new work.
Cable routing must be done correctly.
Testing must be carried out prior to energising.
I will ensure these, I didnt think in regards to the RCD but if there is no RCD It would ideal anyway

Sponsored Links
, only qualified can certify?
No. Only the one who did the work - or supervised and tested.

What I meant by this was that work can only be certified by a qualified electrician, regardless of who done it.
Meaning I couldn't certify it, I would have to get someone to check over it and test before certifying it.

Aslong as I could get someone to test and inspect then think that should be enough to satisfy the insurers (if it came to it)?

If you wanted someone to certify your work, you need to get them on board prior to starting, I would go nowhere near an installation if I had not been in a position to offer advice before install and could see that cables were rated correctly, routed correctly, chases and holing of joist complied to building regulations prior to cables being buried within the fabric of the building!

They would - provided what you have installed is all correct and complies with BS7671.

If not, you will receive a document with a list of defects which need to be rectified. Some of those might not be easy to fix without destruction and damage to walls, removal of kitchen units etc.

If you're adding outlet(s) in the kitchen it becomes notifiable work under Part P. Which is a good thing- Building Control are the only body allowed to certificate someone elses' work.

If you're doing it yourself then you should be submitting a Building Notice (before you start the work)- Building Control will then guide you through the steps they want to see & (usually if you ask nicely and show them the back of your cigarette packet) offer helpful guidance (most likely if you use council building control they'll get one of the council electricians to do that bit) .

Crucially they'll look after final testing and (if all is satisfactory) they will certify the installation. Which covers your insurance question.

There is money involved here- you may find once you've added in the Building Notice fee to your time and materials it gets cheaper to pay someone else (with Part P accreditation) to do the job.

They may also inspect on first fix, this important with regards to compliance to reference methods, chases, joist holing, secure fixing of cables and safe zones.

Okay thanks for the input.
I will nicely ask an electrician I used to work for before starting work that they will certificate on completion if,
They check at first fix, and check again and test after second fix?

To go back to the start of this thread how would any insurance company know when the work was done? Is there any way of them knowing it had been changed?
I am not suggesting doing poor work or not abiding by the regulations but I do wonder how they could prove it was not like that when you bought the house and when they accepted the risk.
I've never known a house insurance company inspect a property before taking the premium.

True enough but (as we all know) insurers will use any possible tactic to refuse a claim.

Picture the scene. The OP installs his nice new fused spur correctly (including RCD on the ring if it wasn't already protected). The cooker hood develops a fault and causes a wee conflagration, writing off the house. Fireman Sam pinpoints the hood as being the seat of the fire.

Insurance company than starts looking for documentation. If the place was built before 2005 (and is all wired in red and black) then they may not find any. However, if there exists a test certificate from construction showing that there was no spur in the kitchen and the spur is wired in modern colours (ie post 2005) then they have a cast-iron excuse to either refuse the claim or reduce it substantially, especially if the OP is on record as the only resident or the only resident since 2005.

There would be a defence of 'work was done to the relevant standards' but there would still have been an absolute offence (notifiable works were carried out without notification). Am I paranoid? Maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back