Fitting a kitchen (electrics)

I agree it is a minefield. when dealing with insurance companies remember their first principle is collect premiums. Oh I can't find any other it seems all they want to do is collect money and they will use any excuse to avoid paying out. In my previous post I was just wondering how they could prove beyond all reasonable doubt that it was a new installation.

Sponsored Links
And what counts as a new installation? For example changing a light fitting or socket? I have changed light fittings but left the original wiring in tact for example. How is this different from changing a socket but leaving the original none RCD protected cable in place?

This pretty covers the answer to your question john,
I was thinking along the same lines.
I think to a degree, I am also paranoid in that sense.

From what I can gather, I should be safe to do the work and get an electrician to check after first fix, and check and test after second fix and then certificate. Please correct if I am wrong.

True enough but (as we all know) insurers will use any possible tactic to refuse a claim.

Picture the scene. The OP installs his nice new fused spur correctly (including RCD on the ring if it wasn't already protected). The cooker hood develops a fault and causes a wee conflagration, writing off the house. Fireman Sam pinpoints the hood as being the seat of the fire.

Insurance company than starts looking for documentation. If the place was built before 2005 (and is all wired in red and black) then they may not find any. However, if there exists a test certificate from construction showing that there was no spur in the kitchen and the spur is wired in modern colours (ie post 2005) then they have a cast-iron excuse to either refuse the claim or reduce it substantially, especially if the OP is on record as the only resident or the only resident since 2005.

There would be a defence of 'work was done to the relevant standards' but there would still have been an absolute offence (notifiable works were carried out without notification). Am I paranoid? Maybe.

And what counts as a new installation? For example changing a light fitting or socket? I have changed light fittings but left the original wiring in tact for example. How is this different from changing a socket but leaving the original none RCD protected cable in place?

I think you only need to add an RCD if the circuit has been modified in anyway. Changing a socket face or light fitting shouldnt be classed as a modification? (if one then a minor), but in this case, cables will be being buried and possibly a new spur being brought of the ring main

Sponsored Links
I think you only need to add an RCD if the circuit has been modified in anyway. Changing a socket face or light fitting shouldnt be classed as a modification? (if one then a minor), but in this case, cables will be being buried and possibly a new spur being brought of the ring main

Replacing accessories such as socket outlets, switches, light fittings would not require to be RCD protected if not existing, but newly buried cable less than 50mm within wall and not mechanically protected will as will any new socket outlet unless this is an engraved designated outlet but the cable would still need RCD protection if newly buried as above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back