Basic question on type of plaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen, someone had badly skimmed a repair about 1 square meter with plaster about 5 mm thick and it has fallen off!

What would be the best type for me to use and should I paint the surface with something to assist adhesion?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Paint the area with 1 part PVA and 4 parts water , best to give it two coats and leave overnight to dry.
Buy some multi finish plaster and mix to a moose like consistency and apply by trowel , leave it to firm up for 10 mins then flatten with the trowel keeping the trowel angle low.
Once this has been flattened,immediately mix up another batch of plaster only this time make it a tad thinner and apply to wall, wait until the plaster has a putty like feel to it so that when you put a finger to it , it gives just a little.
Flatten this coat , wait another ten minutes or so and with a wet trowel go over the area to give it a polish and smooth any undulations.
Repeat this stage once or twice more at ten or twenty minute intervals until you are satisfied with the result .

Good luck
Mike

Can you describe the surface beneath where the plaster has fallen off?

If it is very friable or dry it may be the reason the patch has fallen off in the first place. E.g. Inadequate prep was made in the first place.

If it is very dry, and has a high level of suction the job can be a bit more involved.

The resulting surface is the old plastered wall with emulsion paint !

As far as I know it was skimmed by someone who does plastering for a living but I am surprised that he did not use any PVA etc.

What is a moose like feeling like? Dont meet many mooses!

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
The resulting surface is the old plastered wall with emulsion paint !

As far as I know it was skimmed by someone who does plastering for a living but I am surprised that he did not use any PVA etc.

What is a moose like feeling like? Dont meet many mooses!

Thanks

Tony
Sorry mate , I meant to type ' mousse ' but it sort of came out different.

Anyway, if the surface has been painted then forget the PVA mix and buy a tub of blue grit, you can get it from toolstation. It's a mix of PVA and grit that's coloured blue so that you can see where you have treated, it will give you a superior surface to plaster on that will grip the plaster better than PVA on its own.

Mike

Anyway, if the surface has been painted then forget the PVA mix and buy a tub of blue grit, you can get it from toolstation. It's a mix of PVA and grit that's coloured blue so that you can see where you have treated, it will give you a superior surface to plaster on that will grip the plaster better than PVA on its own.

Mike

Or Bostic Green, equally as good and half the price!

Or PVA and cement powder. Cheap as chips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back