Basic question - why 2 cold water tanks ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

Whilst exploring the source of my sporadically gurgling central heating system, I noticed what seems to be 2 cold water tanks.

Incidentally, it's the lower one which the noise appears to be coming from.

The hot water tank is immediately in front of these tanks.

Here's a pic:

Why are there 2 tanks ? Is there any other info from this pic e.g. closed vs open etc. ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry couldn't resist that one.

The smaller one is the feed and expansion tank for your central heating and the larger one is to top up your cylinder and probably feed your bathroom cold taps.

Is there a problem?

Sponsored Links
Sorry couldn't resist that one.

The smaller one is the feed and expansion tank for your central heating and the larger one is to top up your cylinder and probably feed your bathroom cold taps.

Is there a problem?

thanks

Was mainly just curious

By smaller, do you mean the bottom one ?

Actually my main problem is the gurgling sound that comes every so often from the lower tank. Probably related to recent work I had done .. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1093633#1093633

Someone mentioned about closed vs open system - can you tell which mine is from this pic ?

If so, will the gurgling eventually stop - it's been over a week now and, although a little better, it's still there.

Should I give it a bit longer to cure itself ?

I was bit confused about bleeding the radiators as the main source of noise is this tank, especially shortly after heating comes on. The radiators are all heating up evenly and nicely. Maybe the air accumulates somewhere else... ?

As I said before, I suspect this air came from the kitchen radiator as it was left closed after refilling the system - and made audible filling noises when I first opened the valve.

It looks like an open system and the bottom tank is the f&e. Trouble is, the CH pump(?) seems to be higher than the water level in the tank. It should be lower.

Can you post any more pics to help unravel the plumbing?

It also looks like your CH vent pipe is vented to the MST? :confused:
Definitely need more pics.

It looks like an open system and the bottom tank is the f&e. Trouble is, the CH pump(?) seems to be higher than the water level in the tank. It should be lower.

Can you post any more pics to help unravel the plumbing?

I think it may be the other way round ?

The bottom tank definitely has the powershower cold pipe connected (as I recently isolated it to do a shower repair).

Would that still be "OK" ?

Whole system seems to work fine (apart from a few pipe noises when cooling/heating and the mild gurgling I mentioned).

The bottom tank definitely has the powershower cold pipe connected (as I recently isolated it to do a shower repair).

In that case I doubt that either is an f&e. The top one has to be feeding the cylinder so maybe someone has fitted the other one to increase CWS capacity to cope with the power shower? It's hard to fathom from the photo.

I'm intrigued now as to what this lower tank is doing. The heating is a BG install by looks of it

big tank is for the goldfish and the smaller one is for weeing in ..... come on guys .. honest answers!!! :D

Two golfish in the big tank ... one says to the other......................................................................

can you drive one of these? :)

Looks like an airsep just above and behind the pump. More pictures required. It doesn't look right, if there's only two tanks something is wrong.

Looks like an airsep just above and behind the pump. More pictures required. It doesn't look right, if there's only two tanks something is wrong.

Great, something else to worry about .. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back