Basic tools and drills needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Apologies if this has been covered before. I've never used a drill before! Just bought my first Edwardian house.
It has been extended so the walls are a mix of:
- Brick walls
- Fake/wooden walls
- Walls with insulation (I was told hollow wall anchors need to be used in this case)
My questions are:
- How many drills (and other tools) do I need to buy for removing and putting screwdrivers in and other basic things? (cordless drill, hammer drill, etc...)
- Stud finder (probably?)
- How do I know if the wall I am digging through is insulated wall or not and what difference will it make when drilling.
Thanks and sorry if the question is too general!

Sponsored Links
just a DIYer

i would get a kit , probably cordless , a combi drill and a impact driver - Buy once , sounds like you may be doing a bit of DIY
something like Dewalt, Mikita , maybe a few other makes to consider - BUT - once you get a cordless system you tend to stay with same brand just because the batteries are then interchangeable , so you want a brand that has a lot of bare tools you can build up on

I happen to have cordless Dewalt , best thing i did go cordless

maybe somethign like https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...AQ5SH_znizH_c48chHoaAsBjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
BUT , i prefer the impact driver with 3 speed settings - use them all the time
heres a 3 speed impact driver https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...r-brushless-cordless-impact-driver-bare/551fu
as i say i use the different settings a lot for different jobs , i put up a fence against a small brickwall and used coach bolts through the wall and the 3rd speed on the impact driver made sure the nut was done up and pulled the tags of the coach bolt through.
Speed 1 on delicate wood , with a counter sink so the screw is not damaged or driven into the wood

often you will see deals

The drills i prefer are the Bosch multi bit - seem to work so much better drilling holes in walls - you can get a kit in various sizes for example https://www.toolstation.com/bosch-expert-cyl-9-multi-construction-tct-drill-bit-set/p66729

If the walls are hard or lintels - you may need an SDS drill - But the combi drill will be more for everything else

other tools - well theres is a whole range of things depending on what you are going to be doing, theres a good video by robin clevitt on basic tools for carpentry

Stud finder , I have not found that useful - lots of false readings , so that maybe a difficult one

Not sure i understand the insulation question fully - these plasterboard walls with studs???

I had a 1904 house , and lath and paster was used for a few of the internal walls

Also if budget allows , remmeber to buy good quality as that will last and you will not like me end up when i first started buying the same 2 or 3 times - keep an eye out for sales /bargins - Often seen , i have saved a lot just keeping an eye open on FFX , Amazon, screwfix/toolstation etc

Last edited:
Thank your for this great info.
I believe they are plasterboard (not sure) But there is some sort of insulation and I was told to use hollow wall anchors.

what are you planning on hanging onto the plasterboard - weight and span/width maybe a factor - if you cannot find the studs , probably stud if its insulated , but maybe dot and dab so a wall maybe behind

i have used quite a few different plasterboard fixings over the years a search on screwfix will show a few fixings

Sponsored Links
Thank your for this great info.
I believe they are plasterboard (not sure) But there is some sort of insulation and I was told to use hollow wall anchors.

I use Interset fixings for plasterboard that is not dob and dab plasterboard. I suspect that they may be the hollow wall anchors that you talk of.

Ideally, you would use the setting gun (approx £12-1). It grabs the screwhead and pulls it forward to enable the arms to splay out behind the plasterboard.

Last edited:
I use Uniplugs nowadays for everything and these are great in plasterboard.

Ignore the names you don't need them, get the cheapest combi drill you can get from the likes of Argos or suchlike.

Go for small and lightweight.

If you want a brand, get the Bosch GSB 120 - its light, and relatively cheap in a kit

Here

Spend more on quality bits, it is them which make the difference.

if it is in stock when you want to buy, and you just know you wont need 10 or more items using the same battery then aldi or lidl are as good as any. easy to return, decent guarantee period. if you are not trade it is a good option.

If you are a real beginner I'd suggest a few things on top of drills and tools.

Buy a few bricks and bits of wood.

Drill into them, on a workbench or similar. Clamp them to stop them spinning as you drill. In bricks, especially drill a few holes and put in wallplugs to understand how holes can wander or enlarge and how the fixings work/grip.

Make sure you understand where pipes and cables are likely to be too before you drill.

Be prepared for a few mistakes and how to rectify too.

Just to add - one for the shopping list - a multi tool can be surprisingly useful! :)

Just to add - one for the shopping list - a multi tool can be surprisingly useful! :)
I never leave home without mine! Just not sure how much use an absolute beginner would get from one, despite it being a real "get you out of a hole" tool at times

Neodymium magnets will help locate fixings under plasterboard, and from there the studs

Just settle one make if you plan to go cordless. Multiple makes = multiple chargers and batteries

I ended up buying a S/H multitool a while back, it was the kind of job where nothing else would have worked, that said I've not used it since but it was a godsend to use for the 1 minute I did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back