Please advice on hexagonal tool holder for drill bits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Forum members,

I bought a Cordless Combi Screwdriver/Impact Driver PDSSA 12 A1 with hexagonal socket.

According to manual it works as a screwdriver and can be used for drilling (here is the manual).
However, I am totally bewildered as to how fix a drill bit in it if it only accepts a hexagonal tool holder? Are there drill bit holders which are hexagonal at one end and accepts various diamter drill bits at the other end??

If there are, please advice what they are called? etc.

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
how fix a drill bit in it if it only accepts a hexagonal tool holder?

There are drill bits with a quarter inch "hex shank", AKA "quick chuck", "lock'n'load", Trend's "snappy" range and various other names...

e.g...

Milwaukee HSS shockwave...
remote.axd

Addax flat wood bit...
s-l300.jpg

Masonry bits, too...
Hex-Shank-Masonry-Bit-300x300.jpg

And if you're really stuck, a hex shank chuck adapter (usually only for small sizes though)...
61DH9fXjp4L._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:
a whole new world to me :D ))) Thanks a lot rsgaz!

hex shank chuck adapter looks good but I worry it might a bit heavy and lead to conical (rather than purely centralised) drill movement. I notice this conical movement even on hexagonal screwdriver bits, which is not crucial for screwing, but might be crucial (bad) for drilling.

Milwaukee HSS thunderweb seems the best option as it's lightweight, but when I search for it on ebay - it gives drill bits sets not the holder itself. I tried searching for "Milwaukee HSS thunderweb holder" - again to no avail (drill bits or drill bit sets). Do you know what's the proper name for the holder itself?

Thank you

lead to conical (rather than purely centralised) drill movement.

Yeah, they all wiggle a bit, there has to be some play/movement or you'd never get the bits in and out. Fine for drilling wood/plastic or thin sheet metals though.

I tried searching for "Milwaukee HSS thunderweb holder"

Oops, try "milwaukee shockwave HSS" instead, 'thunderweb' is the type of tip I believe.

not the holder itself.

I really don't understand what you mean by that, you have the holder already, it's on the front of your drill?

Sponsored Links
Although is will accept the bits listed it is first and formost a screwdriver and a feeble one at that.

Yeah, they all wiggle a bit, there has to be some play/movement or you'd never get the bits in and out. Fine for drilling wood/plastic or thin sheet metals though.
Got it, will try one then.

I really don't understand what you mean by that, you have the holder already, it's on the front of your drill?

Misunderstanding on my part, apolgies.

My terminoligy is this:
what's in the front of my drill (integral part of it) I call "socket" (i.e. female hexagonal receptacle)
What you insert into the socket - I call bit holder (hexagonal male at one end that goes into socket, and hexagonal female at the other end that accepts other bits like hexagonal screwdriver tips etc.)
What you insert into the other (free) end of the holder - are "bits" or "tips" (screwdriver bits, drill bits etc.)

I thought the first pic (Milwaukee HSS shockwave) was a drill bit in a holder (cos chuck colour and drill bit end are of different colours - silverish and dark grey (or black)), but I now figure that it's just a drill bit, meaning that for every hole diameter I will need to get a different drill bit (or buy a set of them).

I actually wanted to use standard (circular) drill bits, of which I have plenty, and just buy a single universal holder that would fit into the drill driver. Now I realise that for this purpose hex shank chuck adapter is the only solution.

All is clear now, thanks for explaining.

bit holder (hexagonal male at one end that goes into socket, and hexagonal female at the other end that accepts other bits like hexagonal screwdriver tips etc.)

You would use one of those with a normal chucked drill. With a hex chuck impact driver, you only need one if you need extra reach. You're just adding to the wiggle-ness otherwise.

but I now figure that it's just a drill bit

Yep, it's a single piece of steel, milled into shape, which is why they're strong and good quality (and therefore expensive, of course).

Whereas, look at the rectangular indent on these cheap made-in-China ones, they have taken ordinary drill bits and crimped them into the hex part. They are weak and will break very quickly, so don't buy them unless you literally only drill plastic or softwood. Just get the chuck adapter like you say.

13pc-titanium-coated-hss-drill-bits-set-for.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but that parkside tool is an impact driver come screwdriver, unless you can turn the impact off then it's not going to be great at drilling is it

Correct me if I'm wrong but that parkside tool is an impact driver come screwdriver, unless you can turn the impact off then it's not going to be great at drilling is it

It'll drill just fine.

unless you can turn the impact off then it's not going to be great at drilling is it

As long as you stick to drilling soft materials and apply low pressure, then the impact driver won't actually do any impacting at all anyway. I've seen a few woodworking YouTubers who actually prefer their impact for pilot holes in wood, because of the higher RPM while it's not impacting!

A single impact blow from the driver would probably shear off those Chinesium ones I pictured, but the shockwave HSS, DeWalt's HSS and a few more brands are impact rated anyway, so would be fine.

I've bought one of those hex shank chuck adapter on ebay and tried a 6mm drill bit in it - it wiggles like hell and the wiggling diameter is more than twice as large as the drill bit size. I haven't trying drilling yet (just in 'open air'), but hope that touching a "to be drilled object" will reduce the wiggle, otherwise the chuck is useless.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've bought one of those hex shank chuck adapter on ebay and tried a 6mm drill bit in it - it wiggles like hell and the wiggling diameter is more than twice as large as the drill bit size. I haven't trying drilling yet (just in 'open air'), but hope that touching a "to be drilled object" will reduce the wiggle, otherwise the chuck is useless.

It might centre up ok but there's a slight chance of a reamer effect occurring. What is it you're looking to drill and how accurate do you need to be?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It might centre up ok but there's a slight chance of a reamer effect occurring. What is it you're looking to drill and how accurate do you need to be?
Most often I will need to drill holes for plugs in brick/concrete wall, 6 to 8 mm, so if I drill M6.0 I would need the hole to be nore more than 7-8mm (probably more like <=7)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back