Buying my first drill for simple home stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a lie as I already have a drill, however I think it's pretty rubbish. It barely goes through the wall, like the other day I wanted to just drill a bit into wall to add a wallplug and then a hook thing to hang things up.

However, as it wasn't powerful enough it ended up taking a big chunk of paint and plaster out too. It's happened before.

I'm looking at hammer drills - don't think I need SDS as I believe that's for serious DIY'ers or builders. I only want to hang up shelves, curtain rails, etc.... simple things like that.

Saw these two drills:

Bosch PSB 10.8 cordless drill - £80

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...-PSB-10-8-LI-2-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-13168687

or

DeWalt 18v cordless drill - £85

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...WALT-18v-Combi-Drill-and-2-batteries-10668127

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically? I like the DeWalt as you get a nice case and two batteries and reviews looks good too.

Any tips or thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind they're both around the same price and you get the extra battery with the DeWalt, I'd go with the Dewalt.

I bought a similar DeWalt about 4.5 years ago for general diy and it's been faultless. The batteries even hold a fair charge for months without use, but you can obviously charge one while using the other anyway. I think mine is maybe a lesser volts (maybe 14 or so?). Check whether the length of each drill suits you since the bigger voltage ones are generally longer and heavier.

What's your current drill? Maybe you just need some quality drill bits, they can make all the difference.
And don't knock an SDS for DIY use, you can pick them up so cheaply these days.

Agree completely with Deluks.

I recently bought a cheap SDS drill (Parkside, Lidl: about £40) and drilled about 2 dozen holes in masonry in minutes and without breaking a sweat. Much easier than with my Bosch 18V combi drill, which I am generally very happy with and fine for light-ish masonry jobs.

For drilling masonry with the Bosch I find De Walt Extreme 2 masonry bits to be great, and make all the difference over others I've tried.

Sponsored Links
Tricky having to choose 1 drill / driver, as they're sort of horses for courses. That said for occasional DIY I would go for the Dewalt. As has been already stated though, get decent drill bits, Dewalt extreme 2 are excellent.

Did you actually pay that price (£89.99) ???

:confused:

Yea why?

Just somewhat pricey for that model. Wickes is never particularly cheap.

You would have saved a few bob by shopping around that's all.

Next time you are thinking of buying power tools, don't be tempted by the sheds - you will find it cheaper online 99% of the time (most do free delivery over a certain amount anyway)

That's assuming you don't need it there and then of course.

Just my tuppence worth but saving money is always a good idea!!

B

:)

Yea why?

Just somewhat pricey for that model. Wickes is never particularly cheap.

You would have saved a few bob by shopping around that's all.

Next time you are thinking of buying power tools, don't be tempted by the sheds - you will find it cheaper online 99% of the time (most do free delivery over a certain amount anyway)

That's assuming you don't need it there and then of course.

Just my tuppence worth but saving money is always a good idea!!

B

:)

I have the receipt so can still take it back.

I bought it at the time thinking that "I will try it, see what it's like then maybe exchange".

No big deal, could just refund or change.

EDIT: however, it seems very fair according to a quick google search. I did this in store and all the shops seemed the same price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back