New Drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

My old corded Bosch Hammer drill, model PBH 180 RE just went up in a puff of blue smoke after what sounded like a few pops and bangs while drilling into masonry. It still appears to work when no pressure is applied, but I think with it's age ( around 20 year old ) it won't be worth repairing?

So I am looking to upgrade to a cordless drill, and maybe stay with Bosch. I have been looking at this https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-un...ion-power-for-all-cordless-hammer-drill/305kk

Would this be a decent "upgrade/replacement"? The workload will be mainly light DIY only, apart from in a coupe of weeks I need to drill 1 hole through the house external wall which will be around 10x400mm mark at a rough measurement, would it manage okay?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
It could be a good buy, 18v is good but the battery capacity is low meaning the charge wouldn't last long - and there's only one.
It'll struggle with the house wall drilling but you could help it by going up in drill sizes - 6 first, then 8 followed by the 10mm. The thinner drill will tend to track off though.
I'm keen on Hitachi gear - my 18v two battery jobby has had years of heavy duty abuse and still goes strong. It doesn't like masonry too much (I have a corded Hilti for that) but it has performed surprisingly well on mild steel.
John :)

You want an 18 volt combi, sds drills arent really suitable for screw driving and lack the balance needed for more delicate tasks like small holes in metal or wood.

This one is one offer at screwfix and with two batteries is very good value, plus its the blue professional range and comes with a longer warranty

Blup

It could be a good buy, 18v is good but the battery capacity is low meaning the charge wouldn't last long - and there's only one.
It'll struggle with the house wall drilling but you could help it by going up in drill sizes - 6 first, then 8 followed by the 10mm. The thinner drill will tend to track off though.
I'm keen on Hitachi gear - my 18v two battery jobby has had years of heavy duty abuse and still goes strong. It doesn't like masonry too much (I have a corded Hilti for that) but it has performed surprisingly well on mild steel.
John :)

Thanks John, I think the battery may only be a problem on rare occasion for me as I really don't do all that much DIY, after the house wall drilling the most it will be doing is just general holes for brackets and fence repair and such, so nothing strenuous on the battery. Thanks for the advice.

You want an 18 volt combi, sds drills arent really suitable for screw driving and lack the balance needed for more delicate tasks like small holes in metal or wood.

This one is one offer at screwfix and with two batteries is very good value, plus its the blue professional range and comes with a longer warranty

Blup

Thanks Blup, it really does look like a good deal but I already have a half decent McAllister cordless screw driver and wouldn't this combi really struggle with the house wall? Appreciated the advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I think the battery may only be a problem on rare occasion for me as I really don't do all that much DIY, after the house wall drilling the most it will be doing is just general holes for brackets and fence repair and such, so nothing strenuous on the battery. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Blup, it really does look like a good deal but I already have a half decent McAllister cordless screw driver and wouldn't this combi really struggle with the house wall? Appreciated the advice.
Not if you use drill bits of different lengths and sizes. Investing in quality bits is as important as the drill quality. It will take a bit longer though

Blup

If you have hard bricks (fletton, engineering, etc) you definitely need an SDS drill. A combi drill won't cut the mustard.

Why does it need to be cordless though?

A corded SDS drill will (potentially) be far more versatile, for example, one with rotor stop can be used with chisel bits. It will additionally be cheaper, and you don't have to worry about the battery eventually failing. My corded Metabo cost less than the (DIY) rated Bosch one that you are looking at, and it has an interchangeable chuck that allows me to use regular drill bits.

For £160 or less the OP could get a new SDS suitable for DIY and a battery combi drill, again suitable for any general DIY stuff the OP sounds like they'll be up against.

I agree with OP, for a few holes or shelves here and there, two battery's or even a high capacity one will likely be overkill.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all of the input, it has given me a lot to think about, really appreciate it!

I can drill my house walls with my Bosch 10.8v (which has no hammer), and a sharp bit.

And it's the drill for all my drilling, except for large deep holes in hardwood, and concrete and engineering brick drilling.

If you don't need a big heavy 18v drill, don't buy one. Your arms will thank you.

I can drill my house walls with my Bosch 10.8v (which has no hammer), and a sharp bit.

And it's the drill for all my drilling, except for large deep holes in hardwood, and concrete and engineering brick drilling.

If you don't need a big heavy 18v drill, don't buy one. Your arms will thank you.

My 10.8v/12v (no hammer) often struggles to go through hard bricks.

I do however agree about the benefits of a lighter drill.

My home has really hard rendered internal walls. When I first moved in, I tried using a 705w hammer drill (with a new 7mm masonry bit). After 10 minutes I had hardly dented the "cement plaster" and the drill bit started glowing red.

I borrowed a SDS drill, it took seconds to drill the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back