Basic tools and drills needed

Just settle one make if you plan to go cordless. Multiple makes = multiple chargers and batteries

I agree with you. Multiple tools equals multiple chargers and multiple batteries.

I recently spent about £300 for a Metabo cordless drill. I was impressed that they are part on the One Battery Alliance (meaning that I could use the same battery in other tools). @JobAndKnock pointed out that the likes of Dewalt or Makita don't need to do that because they will sell battery versions of most of the cordless tools that you might need.

In my case, no one had a product that matched the desired specs- I was looking for a cordless drill that had a RPM of in excess 2000rpm- mine is 3000rpm.

Had Makita, for example, sold the drill I wanted, I would have considered buying makita tools. It is a lock in.

Sponsored Links
I'm at the back end of a 45 year career as a serious DIYer. Over the years I have learned a few things so here's a very short introduction:-

1) you can do far more as a DIYer than you think you can (particularly as we now have downloadable instructions and youtube for everything) so don't be afraid to have a go - the first time it might not be as tidy/neat/whatever as a pro, but next time it will be better, and the time after that much better. (and the advice above to practice stuff first with scrap pieces is good)
2) be aware of what you can't or must not do (gas and major electrics)
3) don't be afraid to "go big" on a job - e.g. it's sometimes easier to take the sink off the wall to fit a new tap than it is to try and crawl underneath it and work upside down in a cramped space
4) don't resist buying good quality tools if you will get the use out of them - they are usually nicer to use and last longer.
5) don't resist buying cheap tools that have decent reviews for one off/infrequent use. (the big screwfix Titan SDS breaker/drills spring to mind - huge bang for the buck for occasional use)
6) on every project, buy a new tool that makes the job easier even if it's a "nice to have" rather than "essential"; you're saving loads by DIYing, so invest - over time you'll have loads of good tools.
7) and most important, always work safely - think about what could possibly go wrong whenever you start a job. e.g. for drilling in to walls and floors "where are the electrics and plumbing?" - I suspect there is nobody out there who has done serious DIY that has never hit something they didn't intend to.....

As above, tools that I use professionally (day in day out, I will buy the likes of Festool. I have purchased two Titan tools, an SDS drill/breaker and a wall chaser. Both were about £80, almost four times cheaper than one from a decent trade brand.

Sponsored Links
As above, tools that I use professionally (day in day out, I will buy the likes of Festool. I have purchased two Titan tools, an SDS drill/breaker and a wall chaser. Both were about £80, almost four times cheaper than one from a decent trade brand.
+1 for the wall chaser. Got mine a bit cheaper as it was end of line sell off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back