Basin bottle trap 32mm or 40mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a basin sink trap & waste (see pic) and the local DIY store sells traps in two sizes. Now before I go and buy this stuff am I correct in assuming the size I need is the 32mm bottle trap. The diameters you see in the attached photo are ODs obviously.

The pipe bend marked number 2, does anyone know if this can be sourced off the shelf at a standard DIY store or would it be wise to retain this and just clean it up a bit?

When I'm replacing the waste bit (plug hole or whatever it's called) I've seen that it's recommended to also buy BASIN WASTE SEAL KIT 3 PIECE SET as the standard seals that come with the plug hole kit aren't so good.

As regards sealant am I okay with silicone? I don't want to buy plumbers mate for a one off job.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-24-16-08-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-24-16-08-59.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,099
Sponsored Links
yes a basin mate is handy for the DIY'er or that basin seal kit. Buy a McAlpine trap too, any others are just a waste of money IMO.

Silicone is fine, just don't use too much, it doesn't need a lot and just on the inside basin waste seal both sides as a belt 'n' braces. Shouldn't need it anywhere else.

I still refer to them as 1 1/4" or 1 1/2", metrification had already took place when I started my apprenticeship in 1976, but only on paper, neither the lecturers or older tradesmen had any time for 'foreign' measurements.
But then I still recall an 'old one penny' mixed bag of sweets..... kids today don't believe me.

Sponsored Links
I still refer to them as 1 1/4" or 1 1/2", metrification had already took place when I started my apprenticeship in 1976, but only on paper, neither the lecturers or older tradesmen had any time for 'foreign' measurements.
But then I still recall an 'old one penny' mixed bag of sweets..... kids today don't believe me.
do you feel your age :):LOL:

Fook me... I get in a panic when i have to deal with waste in metric. It's just not right.

Recent stress has been due to the sudden domination of ABS in solvent waste. I've always bought MuPVC and not thought twice..... Now its all flipped. :(

You guys talking imperial sizes will be getting a tongue lashing from the great engineer :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back