Basin drain relocation garage conversion

I'd just seal it at the top, no point digging, you could have half the garage floor up before you finish trying to find the junction. My concern was, if sealing the gulley off provided a dry lateral, rats might move in, If the WC is still connected, the lateral will still be in use, they're not so likely to attempt to set up camp in a short connection off that, which will probably be near vertical anyway.

Even better, I was under the impression if i fill the garage drain that i may end up blocking the toilet side as they are shared. So if i block the basin drain side within the garage by pouring concrete in, it wont interfere with the toilet drain side even though it is shared?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You want a fairly dry, stiff, concrete mix. Enough to make it workable and fill the void, but not so sloppy it will go around the U bend in the gulley and cause issues elsewhere. I'd stuff some newspaper or similar down there first to prevent anything getting past, the paper will disintegrate over time, leaving the concrete plug in place.

You want a fairly dry, stiff, concrete mix. Enough to make it workable and fill the void, but not so sloppy it will go around the U bend in the gulley and cause issues elsewhere. I'd stuff some newspaper or similar down there first to prevent anything getting past, the paper will disintegrate over time, leaving the concrete plug in place.

Good idea! What mix ratio would you recommend?

Last edited:
4:1 ballast to cement should be ok, 3:1 if you want it a bit stronger. Add water slowly until you get it wet enough, and pack it into the gulley. (Remove any residual water from the gulley first.)

Sponsored Links
4:1 ballast to cement should be ok, 3:1 if you want it a bit stronger. Add water slowly until you get it wet enough, and pack it into the gulley. (Remove any residual water from the gulley first.)

Perfect, I think that's all the info I need :)

Will let you know how I get on, many thanks once again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back