Basin pop-up waste struggles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a very simple one to answer.

I have a new Wickes basin, a pop-up waste (don't know what make) and a McAlpine (I think) 32mm S trap. Trying to fit together but leaks.

The trap connection into the base of the chrome waste seems a loose fit with side-to-side movement and inserts about 2mm only.

Is this normal? Or have I bought the wrong thing?

I'd have thought it would insert further at least. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You are possibly cross threading the trap onto the waste,or the waste fitting is the wrong thread. Particularly if it is a macalpine trap ,which are about the best made .

You are possibly cross threading the trap onto the waste,or the waste fitting is the wrong thread. Particularly if it is a macalpine trap ,which are about the best made .
Nope. It all winds up fine, not tight.
It's more the sloppiness of the fitting into the end of the waste which intrigues me. Is it normal that they don't slot in very far at all? It seems that the small seal on the trap hardly touches the end edge of the waste.

Sponsored Links
The rubber seal MUST be compressed when tightening up. Is the inside diameter of the waste so narrow ,that the trap doesn't fit inside ? There is a slight raised part of the trap ,above the seal that must go inside the waste fitting.

What type of fitting is it on the end of the trap? Does it have a raised flange on the trap or is it a groove the waste fits into? if it's the former you should be able to drop the plastic nut down and see if the trap flange fits right into the body of the waste and tight to the seal

There have been instances where the waste is too small and the flange of the trap doesn't fit into it properly. Either that or the threaded shank of the waste isn't long enough and the nut cant tighten up properly.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have a look again later today and perhaps take some pics. Maybe pop into Wickes and have a look at different types etc.
Cheers

ae235

McAlpine S12A-F 1¼" BSP EU / UK Coupler

is the answer when there's not enough thread on the waste for the top nut of the trap to compress the washer.

I've had another look today and also, picked up another waste from Wickes. It turned out to be the as the one I had, so that's going back tomorrow.

I think the issue has been two-fold. It seems that what I thought was a leak from waste / trap connection may be in fact water seeping past the rubber seals at the basin. Also, the chap who I had installed the pipe through the wall has made things all a bit too tight, too short and so it is a real struggle for everything to fit together. I've propped the pipe out s bit and am hoping that there is enough play in the compression coupling to permit it joining at a bit of an angle.

I had applied sealant to the rubber seals and fixed it all into place and have left it for the night to cure. I'll join everything up tomorrow and hopefully, problem solved.

Thanks for all of the help and tips everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back