Basin tap hole slightly oval in shape. Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new basin arrived and i note that the tap hole is not quite round and wonder if this is a problem; haven’t currently got a tap to test it with.

As per attached picture, the hole at its narrowest point is just under 34 mm. I wonder if this is going to be okay?

Attachments

• IMG_3163.jpeg
    IMG_3163.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
A round hole will let as much water through as a slightly non round one. Its the washers and nuts that keep it water tight, and maybe a bit of sealant.

Blup

A round hole will let as much water through as a slightly non round one. Its the washers and nuts that keep it water tight, and maybe a bit of sealant.

Blup
I wasn’t thinking about watertightness, but more about the fact that the hole will be slightly smaller due to the oval shape And whether this will mean that I will find it difficult to fit the taps?
never fitted such things before, and so just want to check that the imperfection is not going to cause me problems, before it gets too late to return the basin if it is.

Sponsored Links
Mostly ,The whole tap body sits on the basin top. Through the hole are the 2 tap tails and anchoring bolt/s.
There are some designs that have part of the body going through the basin ,which is threaded,and a locking nut Secures it from below. But they are more for kitchen sinks rather than basins,I have certainly never come across one for a basin , others may have though.

Oh okay, I’m trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist! Thanks for putting me straight.

One final question I have is that a couple of the taps I have looked at have bodies that are around 34 mm in diameter which is just about the size of the hole. Is there a particular minimum diameter tap I should be aiming for to avoid problems, or again am I trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist?

There's a huge selection of basin mixers available ,and I would suggest you select one with a larger diameter. I have never actually measured the hole diameter of a basins tap hole ,and never come across a monobloc tap that doesn't fit ,but your measurement does seem a little tight for a tap with a 34mm diameter body / base.
What provides your hot and cold water to basin ,gravity fed systems will give poor flow through most monobloc taps.

Last edited:
There's a huge selection of basin mixers available ,and I would suggest you select one with a larger diameter. I have never actually measured the hole diameter of a basins tap hole ,and never come across a monobloc tap that doesn't fit ,but your measurement does seem a little tight for a tap with a 34mm diameter body / base.
What provides your hot and cold water to basin ,gravity fed systems will give poor flow through most monobloc taps.
It is a Combi boiler, and I have 3.7 Bar of pressure, so no concerns there.

thanks for your help, it’s been really useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back