Basin Taps - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Twofingertyper, 3 Nov 2021.

Tags:
  1. Twofingertyper

Twofingertyper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I need to replace a couple of Bristan 1901 taps that have reached the end of their life (15+ years seems reasonable) - they're not mixer taps, but separate hot and cold.

I was going to change them to a more easy to turn style, but have once again hit on the vast variety of reviews you get on the internet - complaints about leaks and poor life spans, etc.

I just wondered if there was a standard recommendation for a tap that was no-fuss and guaranteed to work correctly (as long as it is fitted correctly) for a good few years.

Apologies for the rather dull question, I don't change taps very often - so any guidance welcome, and if they're all roughly the same then that would be good to know too!

2. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    As a non-plumber, I find that the traditional pillar tap with replaceable rubber washers lasts longer and is less troublesome than the ceramic type. Parts are cheap and easy. I have been in houses where they are 50 years old and still work.

I have, however, met people who can damage them. These are people who screw them tightly down with great violence. Coincidentally, these are older people who have previously been used to living in a house where the rubber washers were worn out and should have been replaced.

Last time, I chose Bristan Regency, but they might not be to your taste, and may have been discontinued by now.

My taps can be opened or closed with a fingertip (or a toe).

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Exedon

Exedon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I do like bristan taps decent guarantee on them they produce a really big range of styles.
    Main problem with ceramic disk taps is hard water if you deal with hard water end of tap problem.

5. Twofingertyper

Twofingertyper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, I've just realised my profile was out of date - I'm actually in Lincolnshire these days, so hard water and the joys that come with it!

I think that's part of the issue with reviews, when you don't know the person who has fitted the taps, if they've done it properly, water quality/pressure, etc - it's a minefield...

Unless Bristan have suffered a downturn in quality in the past few years I'll just stick with the brand and give it a go.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. nicam49

nicam49

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't forget that good old British brand... Pegler! Trouble will be finding a seller, as the market is saturated with Chinese junk with British-sounding names.