Basin Taps - recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to replace a couple of Bristan 1901 taps that have reached the end of their life (15+ years seems reasonable) - they're not mixer taps, but separate hot and cold.

I was going to change them to a more easy to turn style, but have once again hit on the vast variety of reviews you get on the internet - complaints about leaks and poor life spans, etc.

I just wondered if there was a standard recommendation for a tap that was no-fuss and guaranteed to work correctly (as long as it is fitted correctly) for a good few years.

Apologies for the rather dull question, I don't change taps very often - so any guidance welcome, and if they're all roughly the same then that would be good to know too!

Sponsored Links
As a non-plumber, I find that the traditional pillar tap with replaceable rubber washers lasts longer and is less troublesome than the ceramic type. Parts are cheap and easy. I have been in houses where they are 50 years old and still work.

I have, however, met people who can damage them. These are people who screw them tightly down with great violence. Coincidentally, these are older people who have previously been used to living in a house where the rubber washers were worn out and should have been replaced.

Last time, I chose Bristan Regency, but they might not be to your taste, and may have been discontinued by now.

My taps can be opened or closed with a fingertip (or a toe).

I do like bristan taps decent guarantee on them they produce a really big range of styles.
Main problem with ceramic disk taps is hard water if you deal with hard water end of tap problem.

Yeah, I've just realised my profile was out of date - I'm actually in Lincolnshire these days, so hard water and the joys that come with it!

I think that's part of the issue with reviews, when you don't know the person who has fitted the taps, if they've done it properly, water quality/pressure, etc - it's a minefield...

Unless Bristan have suffered a downturn in quality in the past few years I'll just stick with the brand and give it a go.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that good old British brand... Pegler! Trouble will be finding a seller, as the market is saturated with Chinese junk with British-sounding names.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back