Basin Waste - Does anyone recognise this ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I was checking the basin waste overflows in my house ( which are all working fine ). It was then that I noticed that was something in the way of one of the slotted outlets from the basin waste - please see the black arrow in the attached picture.

I have 2 bathrooms and the basin wastes are identical - both have this item showing in one of the slots.

This looks like a gasket material protruding through one of the slots, but I can not be sure ? Not sure where it has come from ?

Can anyone identify what this might be and why it is showing here ?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Photo0073.jpg
    Photo0073.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
1. As HERTS P&D.
2. Put the plug in, turn the taps on. If the overflow can cope no problem.
3. If the level continues to rise even after reaching the overflow then:
3a. Possibly the sealant is reducing the overflow route's capacity. Cut the sealant in the slot away with a very sharp knife, and don't allow any to fall into the pipework.
3b. The overflow system doesn't have the capacity to deal with the flow from your taps. Not uncommon as no one ever checks it. Either fit flow limiters to the taps or take the risk.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to everyone - much appreciated - I had another look - you are right - it is in fact silicone sealant ! :) Looks like the person that installed the basin wastes got carried away ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back