Basin waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our basin wasnt draining so i took off the u bend. It was slightly gunked but not major. The blockage was in the basin waste itself. No way to rod it in situ (it was a click-clack with captive plug). I undid the plastic bolt holding the waste in and the bolt split. It had been fitted with silicone so I decided to go buy a new revolving plug waste. Fitted it after i scraped all the silicone out of the hole.

Disaster. The new waste is about 10mm shorter so the u bend dont quite reach it. The pipe goes straight down to the floor and has no adjustment in it, all the joints are solvent welded. Is the best solution going to be to cut the upstand pipe and insert a solvent coupler to extend it?

Sponsored Links
I got one of those from screwfix today. It was too long! So i sawed off the bottom of the adjustable bit, deburred it and it fits. But the waste leaks, so i took it out and siliconed the bottom of the waste up, before putting the washer and bolt back on tight. I smoothed off the silicone on the outside and stuck some on the threads too. Leaving that to dry for 24 hours before i out the trap on.

Why dont sink wastes come with some sort of rubbery soft gunky seal for the underside? Like a cistern donut. Just seems a flawed design

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back