Bath and Thermalite Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a wall built out of theramlite against which a bathtub will be placed. The plumber has fixed the bath in-place and siliconed the edge of the bath to the Thermalite Blocks.

Will this be OK?

The wall will be rendered with hardwall and then tiled but I'm not sure if that should have been done before the bath-tub was fitted in; please could you advise?

EDIT: the bathroom wall will be rendered with sand/cement (not hardwall as i previously wrote) and then tiled.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
its sometimes OK and possible to fix the tiles to the raw block or brickwork - it depends on how flat and plumb the walls are, and if the inside corners are a true ninety.

baths typically have at least two walls, sometimes three.
whats proposed for the other walls round the bath, and in the bathroom? why not post pics?

if you have tap fixture on the rim of the bath then pulling out the wall with a backing and tile might interfere with operating the taps/diverter?

sand and lime render not hardwall plaster is best used if needed.

i dont just silicone fixtures to walls but its getting to be a common practice in bathroom fitting.

Hi I've only got a low res picture at the moment - the bath is against three walls - one is thermalite (the long side) and the two ends will be on stud partitions. They have put Hardy Becker board on one side and we will build out the stud slightly on the other
Screenshot 2019-06-23 at 18.06.33.png

its sometimes OK and possible to fix the tiles to the raw block or brickwork - it depends on how flat and plumb the walls are, and if the inside corners are a true ninety.

baths typically have at least two walls, sometimes three.
whats proposed for the other walls round the bath, and in the bathroom? why not post pics?

if you have tap fixture on the rim of the bath then pulling out the wall with a backing and tile might interfere with operating the taps/diverter?

sand and lime render not hardwall plaster is best used if needed.

i dont just silicone fixtures to walls but its getting to be a common practice in bathroom fitting.

Apologies - Yes that's right it is actually Sand / Cement render in the bathrooms (but hardwall every where else in the house where there is blocks) and then Tile directly onto the sand/cement

Sponsored Links
the pic isn't much use with the bath covered like that.
i need to see the full rim of the bath on all three touching sides.
if the panel below the valve can be removed that will help too.

the pic isn't much use with the bath covered like that.
i need to see the full rim of the bath on all three touching sides.
if the panel below the valve can be removed that will help too.
OK apols - i'll get some better pictures and post them up tomorrow

your good to go either of two ways:
1. clean off the blockwork and take out suction, and then tile direct onto the raw blocks.
2. fix backerboard to the blockwork and tile over the board.

i'm assuming you've got backerboard below the shower ? - dont use plasterboard.

your good to go either of two ways:
1. clean off the blockwork and take out suction, and then tile direct onto the raw blocks.
2. fix backerboard to the blockwork and tile over the board.

What do you mean by take out suction? So sand+cement not required before tiling?

i'm assuming you've got backerboard below the shower ? - dont use plasterboard.

Yep - it is the HardieBacker backerboard there on the studwall.

On the blocks side of the wall, there is no backer board behind the bath there

right, none needed. but if you want you could do the blocks in a 3:1 sand and lime render.

you take up suction with a spray of clean cold water and use bagged powdered adhesive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back