Bath cold water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can help. fitting a new bath. Isolated hot water and cold is not rising main although this is OFF. GATE valve has a label saying that it isolates bath cold water. This is also off

Water just keeps coming out. Yesterday it was a eventually down to a slow dribble. I put the taps into the pipes without the bath so I could at least get in without it dribbling constantly.
Came back to it today and water is coming out again but more this time. Where is the water coming from?

Sponsored Links
No water coming from any other taps. Throwing down with rain. Beginning to think I’m bathing in rainwater

Sponsored Links
I think the gate valve must be faulty. But I don’t understand how the tank in the loft is being filled if the ruin main is off?

anyway. Sorted now. Just had to work around the dribbles. Buckets and towels!!

domestic gate valves can't be relied on to give a totally watertight seal, but they are good enough to stop the flow while you work. Their big advantage is that when fully open, they don't obstruct the flow of water.

If the loft tank was still filling, then most likely the stopcock you found did not cut off the incoming supply. Where was it?

Or maybe you did not fully drain the tank before closing the gate valve.

Stopcocks are designed to be very reliable, though they can seize if the are not wound open and closed from time to time. When you open your valves, wind them fully open, than half a turn closed. This reduces the risk they will seize.

Hi. The stop cock was next to the downstairs toilet and stopped the flow to all the other taps in the house. But. Thinking about it I don’t know if there wasn’t a little bit of flow as the cold water tap in the kitchen ran for a bit this morning even though the stop cock was off for 24 hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back