Bath corner leak caused by angled edge of bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my bath edge angles towards the tiles on my wall which is making water run towards the tiles and sit on the silicone,

This has caused a problem especially in the corner where the two tiled walls meet as the water runs towards the tiles and sits in a small puddle on top of the silicone and has now caused a leak.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can stop this?? How can i stop the water running towards the tiles and how can I stop it sitting in a small puddle in the corner??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
http://www.byretech.com/acatalog/Bath-Seal-Ultra10-kit-rectangular.html

I fitted one of these about a year ago and its still going strong. Very tidy job. Its a bit expensive but worth it when you consider that all you have to do is score the beading, snap it off fit it into place and pop the little end caps on the two ends.

Comes all ready profiled for you and you get a tube of mould/mildew resistant sealant.

Hope this helps

Baths are designed to run water away from the wall into the bath!
I would say your bath hasnt been fitted properly

Sponsored Links
Or it's something like one of those awful 'Shell' baths from B&Q, which have a big raised section at one end.

Remove the front panel and take a look at the feet. They should be securely screwed to the floor and adjustable by means of a threaded stud and 2 locknuts.
Place a spirit level across the bath at each end and see if the outer edge is higher. (seems this may be the case here). Undo the lower locknut of the outer feet a few turns and have someone sit on the outer edge of the bath until the 'bubble' in the spirit level is slightly 'off centre' towards the wall. Run the upper locknut down to lock into place. Repeat this at the other end of the bath. Finally, rest the level across at both ends and mid way to check that there is a slight 'lean' away from the wall.
You should then renew the silicone seal around the bath after removing all traces of the original. When applying the new seal fill the bath 3/4 full to add downward pressure representing the weight of someone having a bath. Make sure you apply a good bead of sealant, not just a thin line. Leave this water in until the silicone has fully set. (24/48 hours)

I had a similar problem with my old bath.

I would suggest that it is not fitted properly.

What we did was to adjust the legs underneath so that it leant the right way, then filled the corner gap and big gaps with expanding foam. Then silicone and a bath seal and more silicone!

Seemed to do the job.

Good luck!

What we did was to adjust the legs underneath so that it leant the right way, then filled the corner gap and big gaps with expanding foam. Then silicone and a bath seal and more silicone!

Seemed to do the job.

Good luck!

Belt and braces eh? :LOL: :LOL:

Hello, my bath edge angles towards the tiles on my wall which is making water run towards the tiles and sit on the silicone,

This has caused a problem especially in the corner where the two tiled walls meet as the water runs towards the tiles and sits in a small puddle on top of the silicone and has now caused a leak.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can stop this?? How can i stop the water running towards the tiles and how can I stop it sitting in a small puddle in the corner??

Thanks

Assuming the bath is fitted level ...
Most baths have a roll top (i.e. no sharp edge), which means that if the bath is not cut into the wall enough, there may be a slight slope towards the wall. Usually it is enough to tile down onto the top edge of the bath.
If the bath is fitted after the tiles, what you have described cannot be avoided.
Some type of sealing strip, quadrant tiles etc, will need to be fitted, or more silicone to fill the slope, however the silicone method would look like a right bodge. But if it is just the corner, you may get away with it.
You should also wipe around the edge after using the bath, but who has time to do that !
Simon.

Seemed to do the job.

Good luck!

One of my mates had a similar problem and he did the same thing. "Silicone always does the job" he says

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back