Bath Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I just want to check I'm not going completely loopy...

A while back I bought a "Cooke & Lewis Shaftesbury Keyhole Acrylic Bath" from B&Q along with the appropriate panel.

I've now (finally) got round to the point of trying to fit it. It comes with the bent tubular legs that fit and screw into the underside of the bath, and then 5 adjustable feet, (black plastic feet on a section of threaded bar, with 2 nuts).

I'm setting the height of the bath so that with the side panel fitted everything sits at the correct height.
HOWEVER, setting the bath like this means that after fitting the pop-up-waste (supplied with the bath) to the bath I have just 40mm gap left to fit the trap, (so I'm going to have to cut into the floor).
Also the threaded bars on the adjustable feet are too long. When setting them so that the bath is the correct height for the side panel there is so much bar not being used that it then pushes against the actual skin of the bath on the four corners. The fifth foot that is supposed to be fitted to the center of the bath won't even fit under the bath due to the length of the bar on the adjustable foot!

Am I likely to have done something silly here, or is it 'normal' to have to cut down the threaded bars of the adjustable feet? I'm wondering if they just supply a generic pack of adjustable feet for all baths, and haven't allowed for this bath? (Actually, I can't see how the center foot would fit under ANY baths without being cut down...)

TIA[/url]

Sponsored Links
HOWEVER, setting the bath like this means that after fitting the pop-up-waste (supplied with the bath) to the bath I have just 40mm gap left to fit the trap, (so I'm going to have to cut into the floor).
Also the threaded bars on the adjustable feet are too long.

cut a hole in the floor (nothing unusual)

cut the threaded rods down (put a nut on first) :idea:

Cheers, sounds like I should be ok then :)
Hacksaw out tonight for the bolts, and then get the plumber to move the copper pipework that is under the floor under the bath waste location!

See if a Hep V O waste valve will go in that 40mm with a bent adapter :idea: save the cost of a plumber ;)

Sponsored Links
Is a HEP V O something I would have to order online? Never seen one in the DIY sheds (not surprising), or in the local plumber merchants?

Put planks of wood under the feet and lower the bath down to the correct height. Easier than altering heating pipework.

Put planks of wood under the feet and lower the bath down to the correct height. Easier than altering heating pipework.

sitting bath on wood or straight on the floor won't alter the distance between the bath base and floor still be the same.

sitting bath on wood or straight on the floor won't alter the distance between the bath base and floor still be the same.

I...err...umm...hmm :oops:
I have a debilitating case of the dumb today lol.

Personally I'd get onto B&Q, it's a ridiculous.
If the waste pipe has to run in the direction indicated by the valve, you won't be able to get a decent fall with the joists running the way they are.

The panel is unsuitable for the bath in which case they shouldn't be sold together.

get rid of that type of pop up waste (cable)
and fit either a standard waste or a manual pop up waste and then the
hepv0 will more likely fit.

Get a standard (not shallow) bath trap, the outlet is higher and so should solve your problem.

One like this:
HUNP5040.jpg

Thanks for all the followups :)
I'll try to address them below...

I do intent to put planks under the feet to spread the load, but yeah... I think this has been covered now ;)

Personally I'd get onto B&Q, it's a ridiculous.
If the waste pipe has to run in the direction indicated by the valve, you won't be able to get a decent fall with the joists running the way they are.

The panel is unsuitable for the bath in which case they shouldn't be sold together.
It does seem a bit rediculous, but the panel IS a standard height panel, so all I can think is that the bath is a standard hieght, but unusually deep, which then places the base of the bath closer to the floor than usual.
Can't really contact B&Q now anyway as I bought the bath quite a while ago before other problems caused a LONG delay in the bathroom, so the the bath has been sitting in the spare room along with the rest of the suite :(

get rid of that type of pop up waste (cable)
and fit either a standard waste or a manual pop up waste and then the
hepv0 will more likely fit.
Might end up having to go this route, but as the waste and overflow etc all came supplied with the bath it is still a PITA if it doesn't fit together properly!

Get a standard (not shallow) bath trap, the outlet is higher and so should solve your problem
Cheers muggles, I do have one of those, but due to the depth of the trap it does mean that other than the entry and exit ports the rest of the trap has to go under the floor, which in turn means I gotta move those 2 22mm copper pipes that carry the primary feed and return of the boiler, which I was trying to avoid, but it seems I can't :(

It 'should' just fit in the gap between the joists and everything else that is down there, I'll just have to make sure the blanking cap is screwed on nice and sound as there is no way I'll ever be able to get to it once the bath is fully fitted.

Schmill,

I bought the exact same bath panel recently but have lost the fitting instructions.

I don't suppose you still have a copy you could scan and e-mail me do you?

I know it should be straight forward to install a bath panel but I'd like to have them anyway.

Cheers,

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back