BATH HOT WATER ISOLATOR VALVE STUCK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to check my hot (mixer) bath tap (which is running slowly) and want to isolate the hot supply. The valve is brass with a Red wheel but I can not move it more than a 10th/turn either way.

Any thoughts or ideas how I can free this valve - I want to check washer/change body of tap to improve flow rate which is a trickle.

Sponsored Links
Bung the cold water tank & change the valve, odds on if you try to put any force on it it will break.

Any thoughts or ideas how I can free this valve - I want to check washer/change body of tap to improve flow rate which is a trickle.

try anything you like its a gate valve if you manage to get it to close and seal a $1 says you prob wont open it again ;)

bugger keego beat me to it

so you guys say I'm shafted and need to replace valve?
Any other ideas - it's not easy to get at to change and my missus loves a hot bath!

Sponsored Links
If You're sure the valve is jammed fully open you could bung the tank and cut another valve in elsewhere.

Well I can't say for sure as its not been used for probably 8 years! But I can say that the flow was fine until recently so if its not moved then it must be OK.

Is there any other way I can valve off the hot supply. The cylinder is in the next room and I see another Gate Valve on the pipe from the bottom of this tank but i doesn't seem to stop the flow - probably exactly the point mad earlier?

Cheers

Sorry I should add the following:

HW is from a sealed system with Ideal Classic boiler with header tank in bedroom cupboard just above cylinder the bottom of which is roughly level with the location of the bath HW supply gate valve.

Have tried to turn, tried applying WD40 to spindle and a light tapping all to no avail.

Any further ideas?

As the man said - bung up the CW outlet and fit a gate valve on this pipe if you can't get under the bath. Then drain pipes before undoing anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back