Bath layout quandary!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am gutting out my bathroom and trying to evaluate all available layout options but because the room is so small, I don't think there are any. I'd like you experts to cast your eye over this please.

There isn't much space between the bath, basin and toilet. I could try and reduce the width of the basin perhaps. If it's any consolation, I have a similar arrangement in there currently.

I am also uncomfortable with the bath taps and shower being on this side as I would prefer them to be on the same end as the basin (simplifying plumbing and better for aesthetics I felt) but I can't see this working as the window is within the 70cm width of the bath which means a glass shield or curtain can't be installed. Am I missing something?

I am also going to have to install the towel rad behind the door which means the door wont open fully but again, I cant see any other location for it. Unless I open the door towards the bath?
I am planning to install the extractor on the wall opposite the bath taps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.

upload_2019-9-2_22-46-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-2_22-46-7.png
    upload_2019-9-2_22-46-7.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
are the towel rads and extractors in "acceptable" locations do you think?

Is the extractor to be out through the wall, that would be ideal.

If you have an opening window though then that's the best ventilation possible. Once the bathroom's used, leave the door and window open a little, best way to minimise damp and mould IMO.

As you say the towel rad can't really go any where else, just have a door stop to catch the door.

Sponsored Links
Could you hang door on opposite side, or move towel rad up? Possible to relocate wc on same wall as towel rad?

The door can't be moved to any other place as this is where the hall way is. All other walls are ether external walls or for the adjoining bedroom.
Moving the toilet t the same wall as the rad will cause me issues with the waste as the joists are running sideways.

The door can't be moved to any other place as this is where the hall way is.

What I meant was just hang on opposite side of frame to open towards bath. Also could towel rad not be positioned next to bath, or is there not enough room?

My drawing is not to scale which makes it misleading. There isn’t enough space near the bath.

Would opening the door towards the bath make the room feel even smaller?

Convention or not, I've done it in a couple of on suites and Jack and Jill bathrooms where it was awkward or impractical to to open in...makes the room look so much larger as well. Don't know what regs say about it though.

Sliding door? Pocket door if you feel flash
Bath along the window wall (taps/shower to the left)
Loo where the towel rail is
Basin opposite the loo
Towel rail above the non-tap end of the bath

I'd swing the door into the hallway.
You need to try and avoid having a basin under a window cos there's nowhere to put a mirror/mirrored cabinet above it.

OP. Your layout is very similar in size and layout to ours - originally it was a separate w/c and bathroom with basin and at some time the dividing wall has been removed to create one room. Our rear window goes from the w/c and right to the right wall. Only difference with ours was that our door is more to the right than yours (the w/c door had been removed and blocked up) and our tall rad/towel rail is fitted where the w/c doorway was. We have another window on the left wall and a mirrored cabinet over the w/c. Our door is hinged on the right and opens towards the bath. Always been like that and has never been a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back