Bath layout quandary!

Thanks guys. If I keep this boxed section and the pipe, can I cut into it for the extractor fan?

Sponsored Links
You may be able to take the vent outside at thay spot and run it up externally.
You should retain a vent somewhere on the system and not AAV it only.

Thanks guys. It would have made my life so much easier to pop the bathroom extractor into this vent pipe. Definite no I take it?

Sponsored Links
Definitely. For one thing the drain smell would just come out of the fan.

Not followed to closely but if he was to fit a durgo he could use the route the of redandent vent to exit the extracter
could he not?

I am mid-terrace. If there are no options to use the existing soil stack, I could pop it through the wall but have these plastic shiplap panels on the other end. I will need to be careful as it will explode everywhere.

Attachments

• 0C0483FA-42FF-4F5A-8B14-E139C7E1C802.jpeg
    0C0483FA-42FF-4F5A-8B14-E139C7E1C802.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 38
If you're in a terrace then there should be more than one vented stack on the shared drain, so cutting down and changing yours to an AAV shouldn't be an issue, always good to get a qualified opinion on that though.

As @denso13 mentions, if you cut into that stack and plugged an extractor into it, anytime it's not being used, drain smells could permeate up and out of it.

AS @Bodd mentions, once the stack was cut you could leave the pipe from the ceiling up through the roof and then put the extractor into the ceiling at the point the pipe goes through it and then hook the extractor into that. May need some support up in the attic though and a cowl on top.

I'd go and have a look at a small basin before you decide on size, worth getting a good sized one in if you can imho.

Update: I ran a core drill in the originally envisaged location for the extractor fan. This is at the bottom end of the bath. Fortunately, there is a void between the shiplap panels and the end of the wall. This meant that I was able to slow down the drill at this point and very slowly cut through the plastic. It produced a perfect result. Thanks for all your help.

On the basin, I've gone for a 55cm wide with a pedestal. I need to alter the metal soil slightly but its probably a job for next weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back