Bath leak help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So today I noticed we had a leak from the bath. I have identified one place it is definitely coming from and one it may be from.

Obviously getting someone in to look at it right now may be tough so need to know if this is something I can do myself.

Definite leak is from the overflow, how would I fix this? See pics below.

full

full

The possible leak is from around the plug hole. Not sure if I can tighten the seal of this to the bath?

full

full

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The seal on the overflow is on the outside of the bath. The chrome knob has a grub screw on its outer edge. Remove the grub screw. The chrome knob then pulls off ( usually from a splined shaft). You will then see the nut that holds the whole assembly to the bath ,tighten if need be.
The waste assembly ( plug hole ) is screwed to the part below the bath by the slotted bolt in the centre of the plug hole. A very wide blade screwdriver ,or similar required to tighten it.

Thanks for that, really helpful. Will give this a go in the morning.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Right so I have managed to tighten the plug hole. But with the overflow I have removed e screw (now rattling around inside) but the cap won’t come off. Any ideas?

Try a long handled screwdriver to try and gently ease off. Go at one side, then the other and alternate should then come off.

With grub screw removed ,the chrome knob should just pull off the shaft. Because the shaft is splined ,it will need a little " persuasion" to pull off. Spraying wd40 into the grub screw hole may help.

So I have tried lots of force, wd40, prying etc. it will not budge. Any other possible reason it may be stuck? Doesn’t look like there are any other screws as far as I can tell.

Might be splined, might just be a flat on a round shaft. Sometimes these seize on quite solidly. If you are lucky it will pop off with a bit of prying and a forceful wiggle. Otherwise it's cut it off and fit a replacement waste/ overflow kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back