Bath mixer tap aerator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

Doing a bit of bathroom cleaning and decided to remove the end of the bath mixer tap, which houses the aerator thing.

We have soft water throughout the house, but for whatever reason, there is a build-up of limescale and I am unable to unscrew the aerator. All I have managed to do is remove the chrome, roughen the brass and slightly mangled it.

Don't' want to apply heat as that may damage the plating on the tap itself.

I guess the answer is 'brute force and ignorance' but is there something that I am missing? A secret way to undo a locked aerator? Don't' want to apply heat as that may damage the plating on the tap itself.

Thanks and toodle pip

Rex

Sponsored Links
Definitely screw! It's not the aerator bit that is the problem, it's the brass fitting that screws to the outlet. Totally gunked up with limescale, even though the bath only has softened water running through it.

Sponsored Links
Looks good. Will buy a bottle. Will it penetrate the thread to assist in removal? Or should I just grab and twist until it is free and install a new one when cleaned?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back