Bath mixer taps

S

sparkyspike

Hello

I've just fitted a nice telephone-type bath/shower mixer, but I can't seem to get the temperature right. As soon as I open the cold tap even slightly, the water goes cold. Otherwise it's too hot. So it's useless as a shower mixer! Is it at all possible that these mixer taps are 'handed' and I need to swap the hot and cold feeds over? I'd appreciate the advice before I go ahead and waste my evening under the bath again!

Incidentally, I have a gravity fed indirect cylinder if it makes any difference.

Ta

Sponsored Links
Possibly an imbalance of pressures, is the cold off the mains?

rob884 said:
Possibly an imbalance of pressures, is the cold off the mains?

Yes it is. Should I take it off the cistern in the loft instead?

Correct. Will need to be increased size of 22mm to compensate for less pressure.

And if you wanna do the job properly make the new connection on to the CW cistern lower than the feed to HW cylinder.

Sponsored Links
:idea: Just thought of something. If I'm going to the bother of running a gravity cold feed, is there any reason why I can't then install a shower pump (I've got a spare one) under the bath and feed the mixer taps with it?

Or can't I do this?

:confused:

Thanks for your help by the way.

You will also need to run a dedicated hot supply as well otherwise no other hot outlets will work, due to the shower pump robbing all the flow!

What do you mean by dedicated? Do you mean that I should put a tee at the top of the cylinder where the existing hot comes out?

Sort of. The easiest way is with a surrey flange, stick it in the top of cylinder and allows for a shower draw off.

May want to get confirmation from a proper plumber on here if this is the best way to go. (i just fix boilers :oops: )

Ok, thanks for your help.

I think I met a Surrey flange once.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back