bath panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plumber/builder has fitted a bath for one of my children and has made a "dogs dinner" of putting on the bath panels (one long side and one short side). I have requested that he puts it right but keeps moaning that "it is very difficult to fit bath panels to steel baths because there are no clips". Surely it cant be that difficult. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Well, why not let us see what you mean ?.

Post up a picture and ppl will advise.

Al

Any decent plumber would know that to install a bath panel and an end panel you would need to build a frame around the bath after installation. Preferably 2"x2" wood is used. The panels are then fitted to this frame, screwed in at the bottom and the heads of the screws covered by caps. This whole process will take no more than an hour. The plumber you used is either lazy, incompetent or a cowboy. :LOL:

"dogs dinner" aint heard that for ages..... in fact prob 25 years.
:eek:

trying to think of more up to date expression....

errrr. in fact dogs dinner. is p.c.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Let me guess the panel's a nasty thin plastic £15 piece of junk from a shed? Then it's just battens on the floor and lots of silicone, and you deserve what you've got! If the bath's buried in the tiles you have to saw the ends off the panels as well and the whole thing's a dog's breakfast. Oh that's where we came in... bin it and cut some Moisture Resistant MDF to size, and paint/tile it, remembering it might have to come out for access to plumbing (ha ha)

Make sure water can't run under the edge of the bath and down the back of the panel. If you must you can just put a post on each wall and one for the corner and silicone the rest. A batten on the floor and the top usually looks after itself, up underneath. If it's a whippy panel it might need a couple of verticals at 1/3rd distances. If the panel is a decent one it'll have a plinth, which makes the corner post an interesting shape.

Let me guess the panel's a nasty thin plastic £15 piece of junk from a shed? Then it's just battens on the floor and lots of silicone, and you deserve what you've got! If the bath's buried in the tiles you have to saw the ends off the panels as well and the whole thing's a dog's breakfast. Oh that's where we came in... bin it and cut some Moisture Resistant MDF to size, and paint/tile it, remembering it might have to come out for access to plumbing (ha ha)

When I did this, I made a wood panel in two pieces. The larger piece was screwed to the battens, while the smaller piece was to allow access to plumbing at the tap end at the and could be removed. I used magnets to secure the smaller piece to the batten, the top just fitted under the rim of the bath. I used some silicone to seal the small gap between both panels, which looked OK as I had used mosaic tiles across both panels so the white line was hidden. I have had to remove the panel a few times, each time I just used a knife to cut the silicone before lifting away the panel. In fact, I often didn't bother putting the silicone seal back, as the cut was fairly clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back