Bath plughole removal UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get the old plughole out of a plastic bath, I have bought the replacement bits and the guy in the shop said that the old plughole should just push out from underneath. Well guess what, it doesn't! Is it just a tight fit having been there about 15 years of more? I don't want to damage the bath, obviously, would tapping it with a hammer from below help?
If or when I get it out do i need to use a sealant between the bath and the plughole and/or around the washer between the plughole and the plastic drain below it?

Sponsored Links
Like so...

E0534431-5DA0-4DBF-B459-BE827D46E7C1.jpeg

1. Remove screw as suggested above.
2. Remove trap etc. from under bath.
3. Chrome grid should come out by pushing from underneath. If stuck, try tapping gently. If still stuck it may have been siliconed in. Use a sharp knife around the edges, being careful not to cut into the bath. Pry up and cut silicone carefully a bit at a time.
4. Clean all traces of silicone / sealant(s) from above and below bath around plug hole.
5. If new unit comes with a foam type washer, you could use this between the chrome and the top of the bath. Personally, I throw them away and use a "sausage" of Plumber's Mait to form the seal.
6. New unit should have a black rubber washer. This goes on the threaded shank under the bath, followed by the securing nut.
7. Assemble as above, and tighten. If you use Plumber's Mait, tighten, clear any extruded Mait, tighten a bit more and repeat. Clear most of the Mait away with a sharp knife. Any residue can be removed with white spirit.
8. Re-connect trap and overflow.
9. Test with some water flowing through the bath.
10. Test with half a bath of water (only let a little drain).
11. Test to just above overflow level to make sure overflow doesn't leak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, the chrome grid had already become detached from the pipes below, however, all now installed and sealed using silicone which had been left over from a previous job. Does the silicone need to cure before testing with water and if so for how long?

Last edited:
Give it half an hour.

Thanks for that, the tube of silicone doesn't state how long to leave it but 24 hours seemed safe. I cut a plastic milk container in half and placed one half under the u- bend. Then I had a shower and checked and it was dry. Job done, I hope!

Thanks for that, the tube of silicone doesn't state how long to leave it but 24 hours seemed safe. I cut a plastic milk container in half and placed one half under the u- bend. Then I had a shower and checked and it was dry. Job done, I hope!

Can’t beat the old plastic milk containers (n). Leave it there... it’ll be useful when you next need to clear out the bath trap ;)

We've had a Tupperware box under our bath trap for 13 years, always good to see it nice and dry whenever I take the panel off!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back