Bath Stone canopy leak advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short, we move into our house 3 years ago. We noticed there was signs of leak just around the door lintel and after checking we discovered the top of the stone canopy was all cracked up, so we got a stone mason to have a look. He added in a sheet of lead on the joint between the canopy and the house and fixed up the top layer with lime mortar. Solved the problem.

Fast forward to last week… we noticed the patches of damp is back and defiantly happened within the last 2-4 weeks as it wasn’t there when I put in a new light bulb, it was raining pretty heavily as you know in the UK. I got the ladder out and had a look and I think the some of the “new” mortar is coming off and there are a few pools of water resting on top.

Question for you all: should I..

(A) Get someone in just cover the whole thing with lead.

(B) Fix it up myself with some Rowland premix then get a layer of this stuff?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cementon...VyLHtCh2XVQDEEAQYAiABEgJmzPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Aesthetic is not important, we just need it to be water tight as I’m done with fixing the house up this year!

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_2074.jpg
    DSC_2074.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_2076.jpg
    DSC_2076.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
arnie0011, good evening.

The top surface of the canopy is well shot, possible cause? Frost??

Do I see a vestige of the cement placed on to the canopy at the far end, furthest from where the image was obtained from?

if it were me, i would bite the bullet and go for lead sheet, on top of a robust leveling compound, one issue you may have is the electric cable on the wall.

A lead flashing into a "new" groove or up and into the nearest bed joint, drawback with the latter is that it will be very obvious??

Final issue, lead at that level is prone to get nicked.

Ken

They are normally covered in lead sheet and that stone doesn't look good enough to be left exposed.

I'll try to take a better photo tomorrow morning, the first photo was taken before the first fix in 2016. It is abit better now but not by much.

Agreed with the lead solution but as you mentioned it might get nicked.. We are in not living in the hood but at the same time the police do drop by in our area for various reasons so I don't want to risk it.

How about a material called ubiflex?? All the other porches seems to be OK with nothing covering them..

wbA9BL2dXvctNUGQ7

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok, just spoken with a stonemason chap and he agreed it is shot and unless I'm willing to spend thousand to completely replace the canopy which I'm not.

So.... what material i can use to fix it, just lime mortar?

Cover it with lead is still an idea...

Photo attached - It is after the 2016 fix and as you can see there are quite a few cracks showing again...

Attachments

• DSC_2088.JPG
    DSC_2088.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 135

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back