Bath taps + flexi hose with valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Very simple plumbing question but I'm getting lost in all the available fittings,etc.

What Would be the easiest way to swap out the taps and pipe in this setup for a new tap, flexi hose with valve?
IMG_20190707_091819.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. Why use flexi's. They restrict the flow, and are more liable to leaking.
2. Why not:
2a. Turn off hot and cold.
2b. Remove old taps and pipe work down to compression fittings on hot and cold supplies.
2c. Slacken compression fittings on hot and cold supply pipes and rotate to 90 degrees from wall. Re-tighten.
2d. Fit new taps.
2e. Pipe from tap shanks down with 3/4" x 22mm compression tap connector (don't forget 3/4" fiv=bre washer), stub of 22 mm pipe, 22 mm full bore isolation valve, stub of pipe long enough to reach supply pipes.
2f. 90 degree 22 mm compression tee, then short stub of pipe into existing tees on supply pipes. Alternatively, if suitable 22 mm street elbows direct into existing tees, but you would have to solder to new pipes.
3. All the above would in my opinion be better done with soldered joints, but depends on whether you have the equipment and experience.
4. If you must use flexis, you can get 300 mm or 500 mm long hoses with built in isolation valves and push fit connectors onto the supply pipes. But:
4a. You need to get a suitable length which will fit onto the supply pipes without tight bends or kinks.
4b. You will need a stub of pipe from the (existing?) tees to connect to. You might be able to get away with using STRAIGHT parts of the existing pipes.

You may find you need to remove the overflow fitting from the bath to get at the left hand (hot?) tap, as otherwise access is quite restricted.

1. Why use flexi's. They restrict the flow, and are more liable to leaking.
3. All the above would in my opinion be better done with soldered joints, but depends on whether you have the equipment and experience.
4. If you must use flexis, you can get 300 mm or 500 mm long hoses with built in isolation valves and push fit connectors onto the supply pipes. But:
4a. You need to get a suitable length which will fit onto the supply pipes without tight bends or kinks.
4b. You will need a stub of pipe from the (existing?) tees to connect to. You might be able to get away with using STRAIGHT parts of the existing pipes.

Thanks for the reply. Didn't realise flexis are so bad. No equipment or experience unfortunately for soldering!

I did wonder about cutting the pipes and connecting there but wasn't sure if there is a straight enough section?

If not; Apart from cutting and fitting a new stub of pipe, are there any fittings I could use to connect the new flexi valve to the existing compression tee?

Or do it the simple way, jointing paste, 2 new fibre washers, and re-use what you have there, flexi's are crap.

Did consider that but the stopcock is a bugger to access so flexis with integral isolation valves seemed like a good solution.

Sponsored Links
Flexi's are not really so bad IMO, especially if was awkward piping and you have good mains pressure and flow but what you have there is even better. Just good quality fibre washers and make sure the tap connector flanges are nice and clean and any remnants of the old fibre washer are removed.

With the water off you could cut full bore ISO's into the supply pipes for future servicing but careful of that bottom pipe as it and it's fittings look old and could be 3/4".

Thanks for the reply. Didn't realise flexis are so bad. No equipment or experience unfortunately for soldering!

I did wonder about cutting the pipes and connecting there but wasn't sure if there is a straight enough section?

If not; Apart from cutting and fitting a new stub of pipe, are there any fittings I could use to connect the new flexi valve to the existing compression tee?

Did consider that but the stopcock is a bugger to access so flexis with integral isolation valves seemed like a good solution.

No, the tee's you have there are are imperial type "B" drifted fittings where the pipe end is flared (drifted) out and goes over a brass cone inside the fitting so best left undisturbed. You would still need access to the stopcock anyway to fit flexi's with valves so leaving it the way it is you are only undoing the plastic back nut on the tap and the very top brass nut on each tap tail.

basin wrench.JPG

Flexi's are not really so bad IMO, especially if was awkward piping and you have good mains pressure and flow but what you have there is even better. Just good quality fibre washers and make sure the tap connector flanges are nice and clean and any remnants of the old fibre washer are removed.

Thanks, sounds like this is the way to go

No, the tee's you have there are are imperial type "B" drifted fittings where the pipe end is flared (drifted) out and goes over a brass cone inside the fitting so best left undisturbed. You would still need access to the stopcock anyway to fit flexi's with valves so leaving it the way it is you are only undoing the plastic back nut on the tap and the very top brass nut on each tap tail.
Glad I asked here first, was tempted to steam in and start undoing what I thought was a standard Type A fitting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back