Bath tile cracks reappearing and creaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, hoping you can help.

In November 2013 we had a new bathroom fitted, the bath was creaky when climbing in/out and having a standup shower, and a crack started appearing in the tile grout near a corner of the bath. Contacted the people who fitted it, came round, regrouted, propped up under the bath not a problem.

Now it has been just over a year and in the last few days the squeeking has started again and a crack has reappeared in the same place but it is longer than the last time.

I have attached pictures.

I have also emailed the builder again explaining what has happend and waiting to see what response i will get.

My main question to yourselves is, what rights do I have to get it fixed, my personal opinion (because i am not a builder) is that the bath was fitted too high and my weight is pulling it down.

Thanks in advance.

B9gwhdiIgAEFM2m.jpg

B9gwgzxIIAAY-LR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your pics dont work.

There are a number of variables that could account for what you describe - could you pic under the tub to show "propping" and the legs.

Did you watch the bath being installed?
Was the bath clipped to the surrounding walls?
Was a supporting batten in place just below the rim of the tub?

Before final fixing some installers fill the bath with water to reproduce a bathing body's weight.

Very thin plastic tubs are lacking in strength and will flex and even distort.

Thanks for the reply. I have not had chance to look under the bath yet due to work. Here is a picture of the crack, and a picture of the bathroom being fitted which shows where the legs are. The crack is in the corner against the wall to the left.

GALLERY]

GALLERY]

The builders responce is that the bath was installed correctly by being screwed to the walls and to the floor, the bath has also been supported by 3x2 timbers to stop movement. The movement must be the floor

Sponsored Links
Due diligence is required of the professional bathroom fitter that all walls and floors are good to go before any work or prepping starts. eg. if the floor is doubtful then its rectified or work doesn't start.

Pic 1. shows the newly fitted bath - the tile layout is unbalanced. This gives cause for a little concern. eg. The first course of tiles is usually a course of full or nearly full tiles.
Has a frame been built to support the tiled ledge?

The grout has cracked but why its cracked is not obvious - although the point load of a standing person pushing the bath down theory might be correct.

Silicone has been lathered on making the joins very rough looking. The silicone will hold the tile to the tub and the separation will take place at the grout joints.

If the silicone and grout was removed (& cleaned up) from the tub rim and the first tile course - then you could look & see to test your theory by standing in a bath of water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back