Bath/Tile Disaster

Sponsored Links
Get rid of the wallpaper and paint it. Those bodge tile trims look awful. Pull the tiles off and start again. Do it cheap - do it twice. There's no need for floor to ceiling tiles - it looks like a Wickes 1980s showroom.

The tiles were put up by the council around 20 years ago and they will be leaving, the tiler will hopefully give me a quote I can afford to get the whole room done. I still want it all done, not too concerned what other people think, I feel tiles are clean and neat and that's what I want.

All things considered I'm pretty happy about the tile strips, there was foul rotting behind them and that won't be coming back under any circumstances!

If I'm following this correctly are you staying that the strip you've pulled off the bottom of the bath has been there for 20 years and the problems have just come about because your dad siliconed it??

If it had been properly sealed, then it begs the question of where was the mold coming from? Are the walls not watertight somewhere else allowing water to get in behind. Or was the area behind damp and your dad sealed it in?

Whatever you do, you will need to get some mold spray and treat the area where the strip was and then let it thoroughly dry out before fitting a new strip.

Are you looking to get a new shower screen? From what I can see in the pictures it is pretty old and looks like a lot of the mold is coming from the area under the screen. Perhaps that wasn't sealed properly? Does the screen normally have a plastic seal on the bottom?

If your happy with them then leave the tiles in place.

However I would imagine getting a tiler involved to do the job may make it more expensive than buying new white tiles and putting them up yourself (or your dad doing it).

It is £4 per sq metre for white wall tiles from b&q, so for the price of your edging pack you could cover 6 sq metres (the full length of your bath and the short wall where the screen is could be covered to the height of 2m). If the tiles already there are sound, you could just tile over them.

In my opinion titling is one of the easier DIY jobs providing you do your research, prep properly and then take your time doing it.

Sponsored Links
The problem I think has been there for a while.

It's been made worse because I have a bath every evening and a shower in the morning. I don't think the previous occupant did.

When my dad siliconed it he filled up the whole cavity behind, he forced the strip off to do this. Unfortunately this has caused more water to access the area and the mould to become worse. His intentions were good, but it's caused the end of the strip's life. It turns out to have been a blessing in disguise as the strip is glued on and not underneath the tiles. The strip had grout between it and the bottom tile, making it look to everybody (including a tiler) that it was one of the strips that goes undeneath.

Now that it's popped off I've been able to clean out behind it (and open a window to get rid of the awful smell) and a tiler is coming tomorrow to tile the 1 inch gap.

I perhaps could tile, I understand the basic principles of it. and I didn't realise it was quite as cheap as that!

I think though that I'll spend the £100 (the tiler wants 50 for the job as it's 2 visits) and get just that strip done.

I think it'd be a particularly difficult first tiling job for me to try. The bath itself isn't level with the wall - the door is very tight so some of the wall has been removed and the bath is slightly inset. The gap varies from 1 inch to 5/8 of an inch meaning I'd have to cut the tiles carefully. Tiling that strip is essentially just all the difficult tiling tasks rolled up into one. :)

Tiling the rest of the room might have been a better first attempt at tiling for me though. I might later decide to whack off all of the other tiles, leaving the edging quadrant in place, and put up white or slightly marbled tiles all over the room. I've got the tiler going for the white quadrant strips of tiles, and he said £18 a pack, so it's £88 all in for it - I guess he found them cheaper than I did. It's nice and honest of him too!

The shower screen isn't too bad, it cleans up nicely, although it gets manky quick again. It's been mounted onto the door frame - yes really. However it's secure and will last another few years I'm sure. I may need to get a diamond tipped drill bit and move it, and if I'm moving it I'd probably replace it. For the mean time though it can stay where it is.

You straighten your bath up - not tile around a wonky bath.

If you mean for me to do it then that's not possible Joe.

The bath is already fitted - some 20 years ago.

If I was to straighten the bath up I'd need to remove the shower screen, the door into the bathroom, and the skirting boards and redo them all.

If you're meaning it shouldn't have been done - I agree. But it seems to have been done in order to avoid doing it properly.

The problem I think has been there for a while.

It's been made worse because I have a bath every evening and a shower in the morning. I don't think the previous occupant did.

When my dad siliconed it he filled up the whole cavity behind, he forced the strip off to do this. Unfortunately this has caused more water to access the area and the mould to become worse. His intentions were good, but it's caused the end of the strip's life. It turns out to have been a blessing in disguise as the strip is glued on and not underneath the tiles. The strip had grout between it and the bottom tile, making it look to everybody (including a tiler) that it was one of the strips that goes undeneath.

Now that it's popped off I've been able to clean out behind it (and open a window to get rid of the awful smell) and a tiler is coming tomorrow to tile the 1 inch gap.

I perhaps could tile, I understand the basic principles of it. and I didn't realise it was quite as cheap as that!

I think though that I'll spend the £100 (the tiler wants 50 for the job as it's 2 visits) and get just that strip done.

I think it'd be a particularly difficult first tiling job for me to try. The bath itself isn't level with the wall - the door is very tight so some of the wall has been removed and the bath is slightly inset. The gap varies from 1 inch to 5/8 of an inch meaning I'd have to cut the tiles carefully. Tiling that strip is essentially just all the difficult tiling tasks rolled up into one. :)

Tiling the rest of the room might have been a better first attempt at tiling for me though. I might later decide to whack off all of the other tiles, leaving the edging quadrant in place, and put up white or slightly marbled tiles all over the room. I've got the tiler going for the white quadrant strips of tiles, and he said £18 a pack, so it's £88 all in for it - I guess he found them cheaper than I did. It's nice and honest of him too!

The shower screen isn't too bad, it cleans up nicely, although it gets manky quick again. It's been mounted onto the door frame - yes really. However it's secure and will last another few years I'm sure. I may need to get a diamond tipped drill bit and move it, and if I'm moving it I'd probably replace it. For the mean time though it can stay where it is.

Fair enough if the tiler can do it that cheaply and you're comfortable with the tiles as they are. Personally I'm with Joe - even with needing to cut tiles carefully, you could have the whole room re-done for a couple of hundred quid and a bit of elbow grease.

I assume if the tiler is doing it today, then you're not going to be able to treat the area with any sort of anti-mold spray... which I think you should.

If the shower screen is fitted to the door frame, is any wood exposed in the shower area? If so, cover it in sealant as otherwise it could be absorbing the water (and thus be your source of water ingress behind the tiles).

You realise you won't be able to have your daily shower/bath today as the bath will need to be filled with water before the tiler starts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back