Tile bath seal failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure it this is the best place to post this.

I have moved into a 10 year old and the bath seal is failing and leaking. I've tried a temporary fix of applying a thin bead of silicone not ideal but it's still leaking. I don't like these bath seals but I don't want to removed any tiles as the seal is fixed under the tiles. I was wondering if I could remove the section on seal you can see using a Stanley knife, leaving the bit still under the tile then silicone along the entire baths properly.

Has anyone done this or has a better option.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Agree with you over the plastic seals - pure rubbish that builds up all kinds of creepy germs behind the seal that doesn't seal.
You could try what you've suggested or use a hooked blade instead of a straight utility knife blade.
To get a little more leverage and a little more distance you could clamp a blade in pliers and try that.
Thing is, what damage has been caused by capillary creep?
Anyway, if you cut the thing out, then dry the gap with paper roll, and smooth the bead of silicone maybe it will work.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I can't see any other option tbh other than to remove the tiles which is a last resort.

Getting a blade in behind the taps or mixer can be awkward but doable.
Its usually best practice to remove the bottom row of tile and see what you've got.
If the tile is in any way loose then it will come off pretty easy.
If the tile has been stuck to plaster board then another story might start unfolding.

Sponsored Links
It's on plasterboard hence why I'm reluctant to take any tiles off. I think it's a suck and see scenario.

Last edited:
I've taken the easiest section of trim off using a Stanley knife and it should be doable for the rest of the main wet areas under where the shower is. The flexible seal was hard and grime had worked underneath causing potential for leaks. Plenty of silicone in between the tile and bath then finished off with a nice clean bead of silicone should hopefully sort it.

It's unfortunately managed to leak down the wall and warp the door frame slightly on the other side of the wall so I'm glad I've spotted it now rather than later!!

As above.

If I understand you then it sounds like a timber stud wall, and if the moisture has infiltrated behind the seal & plasterboard it will possibly have begun to affect the concealed woodwork with wet rot and mould.
Have you removed a bath panel to examine the bath surround walls & floor below the bath?
Perhaps you will post photos of the bath rim, and the newly reported "warped door frame" area?

I don't think it would help getting a photo as I can't get in to see. There is no obvious sign of excessive damp other than a wet patch on the other side of wall about an inch long and half inch high. The wall under the bath is damp and shows signs of prolonged leaking but I am unable to see what damage exactly has been caused.

It doesn't help that the bath corners are not supported sufficiently enough. I am unable to get in and fix it with the bath in place.

Tbh I can see this being a temporary fix until we can afford a bathroom refit or at least until I get time to try and remove the bath and fix a batten to the side walls for the bath to sit on.

Thanks for the help everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back