Bathroom AAV (moved from trade talk)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had an AAV fitted in our upstairs bathroom - but I'm convinced something is not right with the plumbing/connections somewhere as most days there is an awful smell coming from the room - like we have a direct link to the main sewers!!

We've had a few plumbers round but nobody has been able to fix it. We've tried replacing the AAV in case it was faulty - but made no difference.

I'm sure its the AAV that is causing the problem as it seems to be where the smells are coming from - do I need to have it? Would it all work without the AAV? Or could it be something else that is causing the problem??

IMG_1579.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes - but just been to look at them and pull them apart and they look completely ineffective as the water element sits below the connection to the downpipe - so smells would just flow up the pipe and through the sink! And the whole pipe was blocked too. All designed to look very nice - but a complete load of rubbish. Think we might have to look for an alternative. This might be one step towards the problem. But still smells coming from the toilet / AAV whenever the toilet is flushed...

The AAV should open and let in air when you flush the toilet, but is it shutting itself down quickly enough afterwards. I use my shower most of the time, so in the summer, if I forget to put the plug in the bath, the trap dries out, and the bathroom smells, so if the traps in your sinks don't have a water trap, then you'll get smells from there. Fix the sink traps first, then check the AAV is working properly.

Sponsored Links
Fit hep20 waterless traps to the basins and see if smell persists. If it does, temporarily remove AAV and cap the stub stack to see if smell goes away.

Thanks for your suggestions - I will give them a try. Like you say - Process of elimination. Sort the sinks out then move onto the AAV....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back