1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Bathroom basin waste leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by jamie1976uk, 18 Nov 2018.

1. jamie1976uk

jamie1976uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all. I'm trying to install a new bathroom sink but in having trouble fitting the waste without it leaking. When the plug is its fine, so it's underneath that is the problem. The waste i have just came with 2 flat rubber washers and I've looked up online and it says the its a common problem and that i should try using a bathroom waste seal( a thick tapered washer. I've bought one of these but it's that thick that i don't have enough thread left to screw the trap on now.

I was thinking of just going back to the original flat washers but putting a bead of silicon sealant on. Thought I'd better check that's the right thing to do though

Thanks in advance for any advise

2. Sponsored Links
  3. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bin the washer and use plumbers mate ,or just silicone .( the one you bought ) .but use one of the washers that came with the waste.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2018
  4. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Plumbers mait for me :)(y)

5. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  7. Sponsored Links
  8. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes it does....................................If not he has a faulty basin.

Andy

9. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Badly moulded basins are all the rage these days :LOL::mad: that's why I like plumbers mait :D

10. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Although the big thick rubber seal does well to accomodate badly formed basin outlet shapes ,the foam rubber and backnut are no better than most others and inferior to some. Water can still get past ,particularly via the thread of the backnut. As dilalio expressed above ,my first choice is plumbers mate it never fails ,no matter how poorly the basin quality / shape top or bottom ,or indeed what waste fitting you have or are provided with by client to use.

11. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The thick rubber washer on the basin mate seals the thread.

Andy

12. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Take a look at the pic in your link. The black washer can not possibly seal the thread ,it wouldnt even reach it. If it did ,it would block the overflow .

13. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links