Bathroom ceiling pvc cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking of getting our bathroom ceiling lowered by 6 inches (we have coving above our tiles that needs removed as the paint continuously peels off) and pvc cladding put up.
We have a friend who is a retired bathroom fitter who advised he would put battens up then a layer of plasterboard onto which the panelling would be fixed & also that insulation wouldn't be required in the void.
I thought you could just fix the cladding onto the battens rather than put more plasterboard up & just wanted to get opinions on this & also whether he's right about not needing insulation. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Peeling paint suggests poor ventilation, so adding pvc is likely to increase chances of condensation and water dripping from ceiling.
Also a fire hazard.

Thanks. Our friend suggested upgrading to an inline fan as well to help with the moisture issues

Cladding from a reputable supplier will be fire resistant. No need for plasterboard (it's also a lot easier to fit the cladding (with staples or very small wood screws) directly to timber battens rather than through plasterboard), no need for insulation assuming you have sufficient in the loft above and as you have said, your mechanical ventilation needs to be suitable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks cdbe - can't understand why he would want to put more plasterboard up. He said something about you can't attach the cladding to the battens but every video I've seen online suggests otherwise!

Thanks cdbe - can't understand why he would want to put more plasterboard up. He said something about you can't attach the cladding to the battens but every video I've seen online suggests otherwise!
With a flat surface behind there is less chance of the panels undulating between battens

Ah so maybe he is talking sense after all ha ha. So there's a chance of movement if they're just attached to the battens?

Your confidence is touching.

But such trust is unfounded.

I get mine from DBS cladding, it's Class 1 fire rated but I'll tell them they're selling killer material that's causing all those bathroom fires I keep hearing about next time I buy some. As for B&Q, Wickes etc I'm surprised they're not in prison as they all sell it.

I've done about 10 bathroom ceilings, never had an "undulation" because what I fix it to is level. If I screwed plasterboard to something that wasn't level it would itself become unlevel as would anything subsequently fixed to it.

Cladding from a reputable supplier will be fire resistant.
We all know that to be untrue.

Grenfell_Tower_fire_(wider_view).jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back