bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bathroom ceiling about 2m x 2.5m that has that horrible fan pattern on it. My missus wants it smoothed over before we install a new bathroom suite, so I 've called a plasterer for a quote and he is coming tonight.

My question though, is can anyone give me a guideline price. I've never had anything plastered before (except myself) so if he says £50 or he says £300, I'm not going to know if it's the going rate or not.

If anyone can help, would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Well, If i lived near you (which I dont) and if you had called me (which you havent) then I would charge you £80 to £100. Depends how deep the pattern is.

I'd charge £100 for it. I'd apply Bond It (because I assume it's a vinyl finish paint on it) the night before and skim the following day. I'd only be there for around two to three hours but it's the fact that I'd be unlikely to fit any other work in on the same day (unless another similar small job arose) which may make it seem epensive for couple of hours work. In reality it's a bargain because I could be getting £200+ on another job that takes a day.

If you're removing tiles as part of the refurb then I'd do it before the ceiling's plastered because you're sure to remove some of the old plaster too. If you wanted this patching for re-tiling then I'd probably only charge an extra £20 or £30 for the patching but if you had me back to do it another day then I'd be looking for another £100 or there abouts.

Regards

Fred.

Thanks all. Helps to know roughly where I am starting.

Fred you must be a mindreader. I have removed most of the tiles already and there are a few holes that need patching. I was going to get him to quote on that as well, but was going to remove the last few rows first so he knew what he had to do.

Thanks for the pointer though

Sponsored Links
FredFlintstone said:
I'd charge £100 for it. I'd only be there for around two to three hours but it's the fact that I'd be unlikely to fit any other work in on the same day (unless another similar small job arose) which may make it seem epensive for couple of hours work. In reality it's a bargain because I could be getting £200+ on another job that takes a day.

Jesus Fred, Just give the guy a price. No need to explain every detail has to how you have arrived at the price. You'll be telling us your life story next :D

diyisfree said:
FredFlintstone said:
I'd charge £100 for it. I'd only be there for around two to three hours but it's the fact that I'd be unlikely to fit any other work in on the same day (unless another similar small job arose) which may make it seem epensive for couple of hours work. In reality it's a bargain because I could be getting £200+ on another job that takes a day.

Jesus Fred, Just give the guy a price. No need to explain every detail has to how you have arrived at the price. You'll be telling us your life story next :D

:LOL: LOL, sorry Mr Free. Just thought I'd give a basic reasoning into why he should try and get all the little jobs done at the same time. Just trying to be helpful and save Chopster a few readies (and his plasterer a return trip when he could potentially be earning a bit more on another job).

Regards

Fred

Fred Flintstone was born in Bedrock in 1965. His father was....

If I were you I'd clear the entire room and skim the whole lot. When your walls are perfect then you can lay perfect tiles too.

Current trend though is to go for far fewer tiles and use a modern bathroom paint so you can change the colour whenever you wish.

£200 quid should cover it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back