Bathroom dehumidifier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I might be missing an obvious reason for this, but I can find any dehumidifiers designed specifically for bathrooms.

For example, there wouldn't need to be a tank as it could be plumbed in, making it much smaller.

Do they exist, and if not is there an obvious reason why not?

Sponsored Links
So the mould, dampness, misted windows and mirrors etc, are not a problem, or there are better ways to deal with it?

Ok, so that's a silly question and I assume you mean the latter. But why not a dehumidifier? Compared with a vent you lose less heat to the outside. Dehumidifiers have their place elsewhere (or don't they?) so why not in the most humid room in the house?

I've often wondered this myself - extract ventilation does work well when installed properly but as you say, you do lose heat (unless you have a heat reovery system).

I would think that a dehumidifer will take up a lot of space though and be a bit of eyesore compared to an extractor fan.

Sponsored Links
But why not a dehumidifier?
Dehumidifiers are a solution? to a more fundamental problem.

Compared with a vent you lose less heat to the outside.
That may be true but there must be heating and ventilation to remove condensation.

Dehumidifiers have their place elsewhere (or don't they?)
Only as a response to the problem having been allowed to escalate.

so why not in the most humid room in the house?
There is no reason for it to be more humid than the rest of the house except, of course, while and for a short time after bathing.

The problem may be excessive humidity in the other parts of the house condensing in a cooler bathroom.

Due to the way they work, the dehumidifier has to be on 24/7 whereas a timed fan will usually do its stuff for 20 minutes or so after a shower......a fan consumes say 40W, a dehumidifier 250W typically so I guess that could be an issue.
Dehumidifiers dont work well in cold weather either.....even though the house may be well comfortable inside.
They are bulky, have some noise and draught but for sure can have permanent drainage if needed.
Just a couple of points!
John :)

OK it's an old thread, but...

Mum & Dad are in their late 80s. Victorian house, they seldom open the windows a) to keep the bills down and b) not to sit in a draght. My question is how can we ventilate AND keep the house warm?

I was thinking to get a dehum. or maybe even one for up one for down - Mum dries the washing in the kitchen so extra damp all around! (no, we haven't got a tumble drier).

Also if anyone has good recommendations for a dehum (suit 2 bed if we get two!) I'd be pleased to hear.

Mum dries the washing in the kitchen

start with an effective extractor in the kitchen. A modern one, with a ball-bearing motor, can be very quiet, and the latest efficient versions can run for about 100 hours on 10p worth of electricity.

As you already have a damp problem I would be tempted to let it run 24 hours a day. Older people are often very reluctant to turn on electrical gadgets, and may also have an aversion to ventilation.

start with an effective extractor in the kitchen.
Older people are often very reluctant to turn on electrical gadgets, and may also have an aversion to ventilation.

And it'll be difficult to keep Mum from switching it off before she goes to bed - everything is double/triple checked before heads down!! I suppose I could hard-wire it "on" - if it's quiet she won't notice!

Not to mention trying to replace their 50-year old, 4-speed Vent-Axia "it works perfectly, why are you changing it?!!" :rolleyes: (its got a manual "shutter control" with open-close pull-cords!)

With regard to 'cool' areas, I just thought I could mention that desiccant dehumidifiers are best and can work efficiently down to quite cold temperatures.
We have one in our kitchen which is switched on permanently, but has a (variable) humidity controlled on/off sensor. We usually get at least two litres of water out of it in a day.
Although most people use a collection tray, I believe that it is possible with some models to attach a drain tube which could dispose of the water outside if plumbed in appropriately.

...I believe that it is possible with some models to attach a drain tube which could dispose of the water outside if plumbed in appropriately.

That sounds good - we can plumb it into the same outlet as the washing machine and it can sit quietly in the dampest (most damp?) corner! One in the bathroom could feed into the cistern to recycle/save water!

That sounds good - we can plumb it into the same outlet as the washing machine and it can sit quietly in the dampest (most damp?) corner! One in the bathroom could feed into the cistern to recycle/save water!
Well, yes, but as far as I know the water will only drain out. If you want to raise it up to the level of a cistern or a washing machine outlet you'd have to defy gravity! Or you could use a pump, I suppose.

It's a Victorian house, so there's probably a yard gully outside the kitchen, and a hopper outside the bathroom, so a drain could be run to either of these.

Well, yes, but as far as I know the water will only drain out. If you want to raise it up to the level of a cistern or a washing machine outlet you'd have to defy gravity! Or you could use a pump, I suppose.

Can they be wall-mounted? Or sit on the kitchen surface - if they look good of course!

It's a Victorian house, so there's probably a yard gully outside the kitchen, and a hopper outside the bathroom, so a drain could be run to either of these.

Yes, there is (both), but don't feel like drilling at the moment!

Thanks JBR & JohnD!

Can they be wall-mounted? Or sit on the kitchen surface - if they look good of course!

I can only speak for the ones I've had, but in our case both front and back need to be open for the throughput of the air, so I should imagine that wall-mounting would not be possible.

From what you've said, I think I'd put it on the floor and run the drain tube outside at floor level.

Have you had a look yet at which models are available?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back