bathroom dimmer and fan (again!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps

I have an ensuite bathroom with 4 low voltage downlights and one light/extractor unit.
they are all run off one switch (in the bedroom) but the fan has an isolator switch.

I have been in the loft and seen that all the lights have dimmable transformers so i was thinking of installing a dimmer- but obviously i dont want the fan dimmed.

It seems to me that from the switch there must be two sets of wires one going to fan (via the isolator) and the other going to the lights.

rather than doing a whole rewiring job could i just put a dimmer next to the existing switch and have the light output from the main switch running via that?

is this the easies way to do it

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You could, but then you'd have to operate 2 switches.

[edit]just noticed that the switch is not in the bathroom.[/edit]

Supposedly the Dimpull works with fans, but you should check with the manufacturer how.

thanks,

really do not want a pull cord in the bathroom.
although its two switches its so rare that i would actually dim the lights that for the most time that switch would be left full on.

Unless there are any better ideas out there?

thanks all

Sponsored Links
I ran a regular dimmer for mine.

Consider the fan has a constant live and neutral with the switch being an either on or off trigger - so the voltage is limited byt the dimmer - as lowest light settings the fan will likely not switch in, but as you turn dimmer brightness up, the switched live will pass a voltage that exceeds a threshold for the fan and it will be "switched" on.

It works quite nicely as we can preset the lights to a dim level for night use and the fan will not be triggered. Saves the fan kicking in and running for an additional 20 mins if the missus simply wants to have a short visit without being in total darkness.

It became compulsory after the first night of using the en suite after refit - the 5 lamps kicked in and almost seared my retinas with the transition from dark bedroom to what appeared to be the surface of the sun.

The GET flat plate dimmers work nicely as they have push button control, offer preset level that it will return to, and have that nice fade on or off - I'm easily pleased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back