Bathroom Fan and Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am fitting a dimmer to the main lighting in our bathroom but off this also runs the extractor fan. I have looked at the wiring as it stands at the moment and if I fitted a dimmer it would also have the dimming effect on the speed of the fan!!

Can you save me some time and give me some pointers on how to get around this but still have the fan controlled by the light switch?

Cheers

Dux

Sponsored Links
You'd have to put the dimmer in series with the existing switch and the light.

You may be able to get an intelligent dimmer/fan control unit, but working with just what you have at the moment I can't see another answer.

BTW - what sort of dimmer is it, and whereabouts in the bathroom do you intend to put it?

Also, what cables are currently in the switch you wish to change?? Give us a rundown of how it is wired.

with out "rewiring" it you cant.

currently you have one circuit with two things, you want to be abe to control them separatly, you are going to have to do some rewiring
if the switch stays as it is then you can put in a dimmer after it, but if you put in a dimmer before it that will also "dim the fan" which is not what you want

assume (i know i shouldn't) it is wired "normally" that will mean live and switched live form light to switch and fan across light, so as you noticed if you change the switch to a dimmer you will "dim the fan"

why not rewire it from the loft and have 2 pull cords

one a pull cord dimmer, the other a pull cord on off.

Sponsored Links
YES YOU CAN!!!!!

Use a pullcord dimmer (there's only one brand) and they are compatible with timer fans.

I'm not pulling your leg, there is such a thing as a pullcord dimmer!

oh no you cant (well, it is Christmas)

I had thought of that, but i still say oh no you cant, (yes i know about the pulll cord dimmer from tlc) because you can not put it in series with the main switch because it will "dim the fan" which is not what is wanted.
It has to go in series with the fan, which means a slight re wire

i also said
breezer said:
why not rewire it from the loft and have 2 pull cords

one a pull cord dimmer, the other a pull cord on off.

Why on earth would anybody want a dimmer switch in the bathroom? I mean, seriously, unless you are desperately ashamed of your reflection :oops: , surely the more light the better?? (Same with bedrooms, incidentally; on/off... that's all you need!) :D

dingbat

Why on earth would anybody want a dimmer switch in the bathroom? I mean, seriously, unless you are desperately ashamed of your reflection , surely the more light the better?? (Same with bedrooms, incidentally; on/off... that's all you need!)
Bathroom, People like having a relaxing bath without the glare of lighting that is required for things such as reading the newspaper. :rolleyes:
Bedroom, having a dimmer does mean you can light the bedroom gradually without disturbing whoever may be in bed.

Diyisfun said:
dingbat

Why on earth would anybody want a dimmer switch in the bathroom? I mean, seriously, unless you are desperately ashamed of your reflection , surely the more light the better?? (Same with bedrooms, incidentally; on/off... that's all you need!)
Bathroom, People like having a relaxing bath without the glare of lighting that is required for things such as reading the newspaper. :rolleyes:
Bedroom, having a dimmer does mean you can light the bedroom gradually without disturbing whoever may be in bed.

Jeez. Have a shower! And if you don't want to disturb 'whoever may be in bed' then sleep on the sofa! :LOL:

Next thing you know people will want to spend money on decorative metal sockets and switches and stuff rather than on the safety of their fixed installations! Imagine!

ban-all-sheds said:
I've never looked at the blurb - it does indeed say it's suitable for when you have a fan.

It's this one: http://www.dimpull.co.uk/ - contact the makers and find out exactly how it works.

you forget, the origonal, poster has realised that the dimmer will "dim the fan" which is not what they want

dingbat said:
Next thing you know people will want to spend money on decorative metal sockets and switches and stuff rather than on the safety of their fixed installations! Imagine!

I have spent money on decorative metal sockets and switches and stuff and my fixed installations are safe.

notb665 said:
dingbat said:

I have spent money on decorative metal sockets and switches and stuff and my fixed installations are safe.

Well, that's just super for you then. Well done.... have a prize. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back