dimmer and extractor fan in bathroom

ogc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
im doing the bathrom at the moment and was wondering about the requirements for fitting an extractor fan with a dimmer.
i know the dimmer needs to be placed outside the room but how does the fan work with it.

im assuming that when the dimmer is clicked on the fan would come on and the dimming would have no effect on the fan.

are there any other regs

i dont really want a pullcord in the room either.

whats the deal with this

thanks

Sponsored Links
ogc said:
hi
im doing the bathrom at the moment and was wondering about the requirements for fitting an extractor fan with a dimmer.
The requirement is don't do it.

i know the dimmer needs to be placed outside the room but how does the fan work with it.
Extraordinarily badly, to the extent of being permanently damaged. You can't use an ordinary dimmer on a fan.

im assuming that when the dimmer is clicked on the fan would come on and the dimming would have no effect on the fan.
What a curious assumption. You can see with your own eyes that the dimmer makes the lightbulb glow less brightly, i.e. it is getting "less electricity", but you think that you can feed the fan with the same "less electricity" and that will have no effect.

are there any other regs

i dont really want a pullcord in the room either.

whats the deal with this

thanks
The deal is that you can't use a dimmer switch with a fan. It's nothing to do with the regs. If your bathroom light is dimmed, then you cannot have the fan wired from it in the conventional way, end of story. You'll need a separate switch for the fan, and that can be inside the bathroom, or outside, 'tis up to you. If it's inside, it has to be in Zone 3 or outside the Zones (do a search for [bathroom zone] to find out all about that), and it should be a pull-cord, but it doesn't have to be.

You have some other options, though.

You can switch the fan independently via a fan speed controller (similar in appearance to a dimmer)

Ban - I think you've been a little mean - ogc is 1/2 right.

I know you don't like pullcords, but you can get a pullcord dimmer that has an output suitable for switching fans ie you can dim the lighting via the pullcord, but the fan switches on and off just as it would through a conventional p/c switch.

See tlc TL PCD51 - 17.99 Note - not suited to fluorescent loads.

Sponsored Links
Ah - didn't read it that he was looking for a fan-speed control option, rather a case of "my bathroom light is (or will be) on a dimmer, can I connect the fan to it?"

thanks

the pullcord dimmer sounds like a winner, il,ll have a look around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back