Bathroom dimmer switches

But you could have 2 lights in a bathroom, a standard one then a dimmable one.

Sponsored Links
Maybe contentious, hence the ask!

Bathroom being tiled next week. Wife would like dimmable low voltage led strips fitted in the niches, above the bath.

She'd also like to swap out the ceiling downlights with dimmable ones.

I've found these varilight touch dimmers but cannot find an IP rating for them.

View attachment 279880

Surely this isn't a unique problem (2 sets of dimmable lights in a bathroom). The hallway outside the door is a set of 3 doors with no space for a switch, so cannot put the dimmer there.

Suggestions please:

1. Is there an ip65? touch dimmer suitable for bathroom?

2. If not, how is this problem solved?

There's also the issue of the extractor fan, not suitable for a dimmer. Was considering leaving the pull cord for that.
Providing the switch is outside of Zone 2 you can have a switch like this, but you'll find as I did, if you have a extract fan with a run on timer that turns on with this switch the fan will continually run as the dimmer uses a 10V signal to operate, this is pickup up by the fan and it thinks the lights are on, as such I'm going to swap it out with a standard dimmer.

Maybe contentious, hence the ask!

Bathroom being tiled next week. Wife would like dimmable low voltage led strips fitted in the niches, above the bath.

I've found these varilight touch dimmers but cannot find an IP rating for them.

View attachment 279880

Surely this isn't a unique problem (2 sets of dimmable lights in a bathroom). The hallway outside the door is a set of 3 doors with no space for a switch, so cannot put the dimmer there.

Suggestions please:

1. Is there an ip65? touch dimmer suitable for bathroom?

2. If not, how is this problem solved?

There's also the issue of the extractor fan, not suitable for a dimmer. Was considering leaving the pull cord for that.
With regards the another dimmer and the fan, if it has a run on it uses the permanent supply to run the fan and only uses the switched live for it's signal to turn off and on.

Hope this helps.

As long as she is competent, let her get on with it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back