Bathroom - diy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we are doing our bathroom up, keeping the wall tiles but replacing the corner bath with a standard rectangle one and a shower from the main mixer tap. Not too sure which order to do things in, I need some assistance please

here is my current order
Fit new downlights
Fit Bluetooth speaker in ceiling
Paint ceiling
Connect extractor pipe to outside wall (currently it is just loose in the loft) can I drill from inside to out so I don’t have to climb a ladder? Next doors house is only a few foot away so not ideal for a ladder.
Remove existing suite
Fit floor up to where the bath is going? Not sure if we are getting vinyl or wood floor yet
Fit suite back
Fit bath panel

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds about right
For the extractor you’ll still need it terminated correctly on the outside wall not just a pipe/duct sticking out

Sponsored Links
Wood floor in a bathroom? You’ll regret that.

got white painted pine (not as bad as it sounds) in one of mine, actually looks and feels nice, and unless you treat it as a wetroom, it’s fine. Engineered oak or something though, yeah I’d agree

Thanks.

are these mixer tap showers good? We get good pressure around the house.

Extractor Fan - can I drill from inside to out so I don’t have to climb a ladder - Yes you can.

Then put string from inside bathroom, through hole and down outside wall.
Attach Fan grill to string.
And pull up outside wall and into hole.
Cut string

Extractor Fan - can I drill from inside to out so I don’t have to climb a ladder - Yes you can.

Cut string

....covered in glue?

23vc
The vents I use friction fit inside the 100mm tube that I fit inside the hole.
A small bit of glue on that collar helps.
(although I did forget to mention the 100mm tube inside the hole).
I use this method when not enough room, or too high for a ladder.
Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 15.30.36.png

SFK

Great idea thanks, not keen on heights....

what type of drill bit will I need for the big hole please? Also is it best to have the vent roughly the same height as the inline extractor or can it go higher up the loft wall?

can the pipes from 2 fans be connected somehow?

sorry for all the newbie questions, I want to get it right 1st time

Last edited:
Cut string

good idea!

Con,
Can you put your pipe through a soffit (ie end of the joists where the roof pitch meets the wall?). You can cut hole in wood or there can be a wide narrow rectangular cap that a wide rectangular vent can go in (converted from the 100mm pipe0: https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-...category=cat840506&page_size=20&page_start=40

Otherwise, to go through the wall in your loft (end of gable I presume) hire a Clutched Drill and a 110mm diamond drill bit.
Will cost you about £50, BUT will take yo only 30mins of drilling and save you from burning out your £50 drill, and snapping your wrists.
https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Drilling/Core-Drill-Hire/100005/
Drill a central pilot hole first (use the drill bit that comes with the core drill). Drill slightly downwards so any rain or condensation will always flow out from house.
Drill (push) slowly, don't push too hard and let the core drill do the work (light and steady force).

No-more-nails a 100mm Tube into your new hole in the wall and cut flush
https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-100mm-round-ducting-1m/544gy

add a connector for your pipe
https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-round-connector-white-150mm/145gy

Best place for hole in bathroom ceiling is above where steam is made.

The pipes from 2 fans can be connected with Y junctions. But is not great, as can cause issues. If I had to do this (bodge) I would put the Y junction as close to outside hole as possible to reduce effect one fan blowing air back into other room.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-circular-y-piece-connector-white-100mm/23574

Last edited:
"Also is it best to have the vent roughly the same height as the inline extractor or can it go higher up the loft wall"

Some condensation will form as water in the pipe.
Try and place the pipe in the loft without any u bends, and try to allow and water to flow down pipe to outside for one side of inline and back to hole in ceiling on other-side.
I feel a few drops there is okay.
You do not want water to be sitting in your loft or flowing back into your inline fan.

Last edited:
good idea!
JohnD,
I cannot take the credit.
I saw it suggested on this forum.
Annoying this was AFTER I had got stuck with this issue and climbed a dangerous ladder.
So it stuck in my memory.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back