Bathroom downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have seven 12v downlighters in my bathroom of which 4 no longer work. I have 240v into the transformers but nothing out to the bulbs. I bought a replacement transformer to try out on one of the lights but when I wired it up, (cant really go wrong brown to brown - blue to blue), I managed to trip the CB. Question is do I need a like for like transformer ?
I have searched the internet for a match but can not find exactly the same one. Current Model - HSE60T (20-60va). This is dimmable although I have not got a dimmer switch. The new transformer is not dimmable, does this matter ? New Model - HQC - 60 (20 - 60w)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yan

Sponsored Links
was it the circuit breaker you tripped or the RCD?

If the latter this might just be because you accidentally touched neutral and earth together - even if the circuit if off this will happen and not anything to worry about.

If it wasn't the RCD - did you get a shock? Was the circuit switched off? You really need to make sure it is off at the fuse board not just the light switch. As long as you are replacing a 12V 60W (or VA) transformer with the same spec then the make won't matter

Did the light work???

It was the CB that tripped not the RCD. I always trip the circuit before any work. It was all OK when I switched the CB back on after wiring it all up and only tripped when I switched the light on. Did not even get a glimmer of light from the bulb before it tripped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back