Bathroom Downlights, Mains Voltage, LED.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking to install 8 Downlights in a Bathroom. I would prefer Mains LED maybe GU10.

Should I be getting IP rated lights? is it just to stop moisture in the loft space which is well ventilated?

I would prefer IP rated.

I bought JCC lights from Screwfix and didn't realise they came with none replaceable LEDs so I returned these and got LAP which didn't come with any bulbs allowing me to choose with LEDs to fit.

The problem with the LAP housing is the bulb is recessed in the fitting and you can see the retaining spring and rivets etc which we don't like.

Can you one recommend a good Mains GU10 polished Chrome fitting?

Sponsored Links
First the IP rating can be given for any lamp. IP00 is still an IP rating and it means there is no protection. Where IP68 I could fit under water. The IET/BS wiring regulations stipulate the IP rating for areas of the bathroom but without knowing the zone can't say what is required.

The down lighter can work well but 50mm down lighters are not so good as the larger types. The GU10 is called a spot light because that's what it's designed for and to light pictures on the wall they do a good job. But they as used as an addition to background lighting not an instead.

There are some very wide angle GU10 lamps but careful selection is required.

@ericmark Thank you for the advice.

I was thinking IP44 or IP65 plus I was going to put 8 in for good light.

I was only thinking of using GU10 as there seems to be plenty of LEDs on the market, so was hoping to find one with good light and wide angle

Sponsored Links
I bought JCC lights from Screwfix and didn't realise they came with none replaceable LEDs so

You don't need to replace them.

JCC are the bestestness and everything.

Why did you take them back?

Well if I fitted 8 of these and in 5 years time 1 of them failed, I would have to replace all 8 as the chances are the integrated LED would be different and probably the housing as well.

I bought JCC lights from Screwfix and didn't realise they came with none replaceable LEDs so

You don't need to replace them.

JCC are the bestestness and everything.

Why did you take them back?

Well if I fitted 8 of these and in 5 years time 1 of them failed, I would have to replace all 8 as the chances are the integrated LED would be different and probably the housing as well.

Their new ones, the LED7s are awesome, it took a lot to convince me into LED lighting, but these did and have a 10 year domestic use guarantee, 5 year commercial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back