Bathroom downlights poped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help or advice please.

Have 5 MR11 downlights in the bathroom with a 12v transformer.

They have worked fine for last 6 years, went to switch on this evening and all 5 popped. I know the bulbs still work and all wiring intact. Can the transformer go? and is it just a case of replacing the transformer?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
How do know the lamps are ok ?
One lamp could have blown and took out the transformer output fuse (wire wound transformer)
How do you know the wiring is intact ?

I think you have done quite well at 6 years. It is not un-common for transformers to go as yours has. It is quite easy to replace them (providing you use the correct model) Again, you get what you pay for,so get a quality brand.

Help or advice please.

Have 5 MR11 downlights in the bathroom with a 12v transformer.

They have worked fine for last 6 years, went to switch on this evening and all 5 popped. I know the bulbs still work and all wiring intact. Can the transformer go? and is it just a case of replacing the transformer?

Thanks in advance

Is it a single tranformer to cover the five down lights?
What is the wattage of the lamps and what is the range of the transformer?
Have you changed the lamps recently perhaps put more powerful ones in?

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for the replies.

When I fitted the downlights years ago I relocated the rose in the loft, and attached the system to the rose.
I know the lamps are okay as I tried one on my nieghbors bathroom with the same system.
I presume the wiring is okay as I attached a normal lamp fitting to the original rose and this works.
The transformer feeds all 5 lights, not sure of the range.

My knowledge of the downlight system is limited, so basically all I wanted to know was can I just replace the white box transformer, or must the whole system be replaced?
I know that the MR11 system is outdated and that the GR series seems to have replaced it. I have 5 holes in the ceiling which, at the worst will need to be filled in if I cannot find a similar system.

Thanks everyone again.

Thanks again for the replies.
Will replacing the transformer fall under Part P?

The system was installed 6 years ago, and I have not changed the mains wiring system connecting to the rose.

You are replacing "Like for Like" go ahead.

Do you reckon that changing the single transformer operating five lights to one transformer for each light would still be classed as like for like? I have a similar job coming up.

I know that like for like doesn't appear in the regs but most authorities seem to include it in their literature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back